Body pack transmitter installation question

BCAP

I ran into a bit of a situation on a recent show, and this is probably going to sound like an unusual problem (apologies in advance).

Theater has (24) Shure ULXD1 sets. No problems with any of them, except I noticed the connectors were caked with residue, probably from sweat, salt, and later I thought it might be dried up talcum so I hit them up with some contact cleaner and foam swabs and everything is fine. All OK.

For the production, I provided wireless mic belts and neoprene BELT PACs made by www.wirelessmicbelts.com for those actors who wanted to wear them and whose costume would allow them.

However, there are a number of ladies who prefer to clip the transmitter pack onto their bra strap and they did not want to use neoprene BELT PAC sheath. Ok with me. Theater recommended using un-lubricated condoms to protect those particular unprotected packs against moisture. Also OK with me, but I now know where the talc residue is coming from...

Where I ran up against a challenge was how to install a single condom over this particular make/model pack while also enabling the actors to still use the clip on the back of the pack for install. Efforts to take the clip off of the pack, put condom over and reinstall clip onto the pack destroy the condom obviously. Efforts to roll up the condom under the clip basically leave the connectors out of the moisture protection, and in one case the TA4 connector became disconnected during a rehearsal using this method.

I would like to ensure both antenna and TA4 connector are protected from moisture, as well as the battery door on the pack.

I suppose I could install 2 condoms on a pack, one from the bottom, one from the top maybe?

Anyone have this particular experience before, and if so, what did you do?

I am open to alternate recommendations as well. I thought someone had posted on here that there were plastic sleeves one could buy, similar to a ziplock bag, perhaps.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I am open to alternate recommendations as well. I thought someone had posted on here that there were plastic sleeves one could buy, similar to a ziplock bag, perhaps.
I must be remembering the same posting(s). Why does it HAVE to be a condom? Plastic bags from a vendor such as U-Line come in all shapes and sizes, and are economical when buying by the 100-count. Search harder!

Doesn't have to be, just in this case that's what the theater wanted me to use and that's what they had in stock. Thanks for the recommend I'll look for alternate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back