Boundary Mic not works only on wireless

I have 4 boundary mics which I have tested on my board through a xlr port and they all work fine. I plug them into a Wireless Mic pack, and they all work fine. I plug it into a XLR port anywhere else in the theatre, I get nothing. No Sound. Is this a power issue or something else? I really do not want to run boundary mics through a Wireless pack for an entire production.

The mics are Shure Boundary Mics with a 4 pin plug and a Pre amplifier that converts it to a 3 pin XLR.

Odds are your grounds are lifted on your installed runs. Does a regular mic work on those wall inputs?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Possibly. I am knew to the theatre (2 weeks) and just feeling my way around what would I look for?

You'll possibly find a panel near or in your rack with lots of short phone or XLR plugs dangling from it. Follow the back of your console from where your mic inputs come in to wherever they go from there. Somewhere there's a place where they theoretically interconnect with all of your building's inputs. It could also be a screw terminal panel, but that should hopefully mean you have continuity with three wires to your input jacks.

We have a patch panel since our building has 50+ inputs all over the place, but we won't ever use all of them at the same time. It gives you the ability to put your input layout in whatever order you like without having to reach behind the console all day. And I run into a similar thing Footer described when my kids use TS cables to patch mics instead of the TRS.

Have you tested the boundary mic directly into your board? It could also be the phantom power/battery problem if there's no patch panel.

If a dynamic microphone works, just not a condenser, then I agree with Footer that the related installed wiring may drop the audio signal shield at some point, likely to avoid ground loops, which results in it no longer supporting phantom power that is required by condenser microphones. The first place I would look for that is at the wall plate, if you take off the plate you should see both conductors and the shield wired to the XLR but the shield may not be connected. The next most likely point to drop the shield would probably be where any patching occurs.

I f you want to check if the installed wiring shield is continuous or not then one option would be to run a long XLR cable from, and connected to, the related cable at the mixer out to the XLR input out in the room. Don't connect the cable to the wall plate but use a voltmeter or other method of measuring continuity to verify if you have continuity between Pin 1 on the wall plate and Pin 1 on the cable you ran. You should have continuity, if you don't then the shield may indeed be dropped or not connected at some point in the installed wiring.

If you pull off the wall plate then another thing to check is that Pin 1/ground/shield should not be wired to the plate or wall box itself either directly or via the 'tab' on the XLR connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back