Brainstorming a rehearsal room playback solution

blueeyesdesigns

I'm overseeing a facelift of our main rehearsal room, and since I'm tearing out the old sound system to paint, I want to see if there isn't a better solution that I can put back in it's place.

It's a fairly large room (~40'x20'), used for classes as well as rehearsals, events, and meetings. What they wanted when they bought the current system is a system that would take a stereo input and distribute it evenly around the whole space. What they bought was a cheap home stereo/5.1 surround receiver and speakers. So, if someone plugs in an iPod or CD player, they only get sound in half the room, on the Front L & R channels. (Duh. Was bought/installed long before my time here.)

So, my question for you is, can anyone think of an inexpensive way of connecting a CD player and/or 1/8" input, distribute it evenly the four identical speakers I already have, and is very user-friendly? (This is mostly teachers and admin staff focused.) I was thinking some sort of distribution amplifier, but my first round of internet searches didn't turn up things with speaker outputs, and I don't want to have to get a separate amp.

I've thought about installing a 70V system, but that would require a significantly larger investment than this little pet project would allow...

Radio Shack has the Sherwood RD-7405 7.1-Channel 70-Watt Dual-Zone A/V Receiver for $219. It has two outputs so you can drive the 4 speakers.

Radio Shack has the Sherwood RD-7405 7.1-Channel 70-Watt Dual-Zone A/V Receiver for $219. It has two outputs so you can drive the 4 speakers.

This isn't very different from what I have now, and it's still a lot more complicated than what I was hoping for. Would the amp channels in something like this be able to drive two speakers each? I have to admit that my understanding of sound systems pass the amplifier inputs is minimal.

The write-up reads that way. Sorry, but I don't have one, just reading the specs. You could always go to the nearest mall that has a store and check. That's why I was thinking of Radio Shack for you - it would be easy to check out.

Is it a regular receiver? If so many have a full mono or full stereo setting which would work while money is found to properly upgrade the system.

Check the surround settings in your receiver, there is often a 'party' or similar mode that will route the sound to all outputs. You might have to just try different surround mode settings but if it works it doesn't cost a thing.

Yes, as Museav pointed out, check your Surround Settings. Ususally there is a MUSIC or TV mode which will treat the whole system as a Stereo LR and not 5.1. My home receiver which might be a little more advanced has custom settings as well. So for regular TV It's just a LR system, but when I tune into a movie channel or there 5.1 present, the Rear L/R become surround. Post up the make and model of your Receiver and maybe some of us home theater people can assist you better. That said I've got an old Carver Magnetic Field Power Ampifier/Reciever, from the 70's. It's Stereo. :) I wonder if companies today even make stereo only models anymore.

Check the ohms rating on your speakers, and what the amplifier is rated for (8 ohms or 4 ohms). Museav's recommendation is definitely the best, however if that's not possible, your speakers are 8 or 16 ohms (not 4), your receiver is rated for a 4 ohm load (not 8), then you may be able to wire the loudspeakers in parallel (2 loudspeakers off a single output). There is risk of frying your receiver by doing this if your amplifier can't handle a 4 ohm load and/or your speakers are less than 8 ohm, but may be another solution.

Most home theater receivers have a 5 channel stereo or extended stereo mode which will output to all 5 speakers attached. Also, your receiver may have a second zone you could use and wire some of the speakers into those outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back