High School Brand New High School Theater Tech Teacher needs help!!

Sue Givens

I have been hired to teach an ROP theater tech class and have no teaching experience or training. I do have experience in theater and know at least basics in all areas. My problem is I've been thrown into this with very little help (as far as how to determine what to teach when, ideas for activities, etc. They are very supportive in general as far as the classroom type stuff.) I have my students for 90 minutes EVERY day and am so lost about what to do with them. There is one other ROP theater tech teacher in the district but his program is so different I really can't use what he uses, plus he only has his students for 40 minutes 3x a week. I do have the curriculum requirements and have pretty much free reign as to how to run my class. Any HELP would be so greatly appreciated. Somehow I made it thru the first week :)

Thanks!!!!

I remember that feeling...

Do you have any books? Do you have a shop facility? Do you have a stage? Are there productions being done at your school?

I don't have any books tho I've been told they can order some if there's one I want to use. We DO have a shop, stage with out a fly or mush wing space and they do have productions (Drama, music, dance) throughout the year. I am trying to figure out how to be involved with those....I am only paid for my classroom time so I'll do what we can in that time but have various regional productions I do outside of school in evenings and on weekends. I'm not sure what the previous teacher did with the students except set construction and lighting and a little sound. (my advanced class is doing the same thing as my basic classes to get them caught up) One of the students told me they didn't do much of anything except use their phones and watch movies. I hear he had a few kids that did everything and the rest pretty much had a free period and got an "A". So not only am I trying to figure out this teaching thing but have kids in class who think I'm going to be just like the previous teacher (and Boy are they in for a shock) So I am looking for ideas for "tech games" and interesting hands on activities that will be fun and keep them engaged. (And any other info anyone cares to pass on.

hstech.com has some great lessons and videos, very basic stuff. Google technical theater curriculum...

Every class I ever took started with safety! Tour the space and teach about what will hurt! That will give you some time to get the rest sorted out.

Every class I ever took started with safety! Tour the space and teach about what will hurt! That will give you some time to get the rest sorted out.
I like to use the first two weeks or so teaching safety. This usually gives me time to get a feel for which students really want to be there, time to map out the rest of the semester, and more importantly, gets me past the drop date so the ones that got stuck with the class get a chance to get out. Most importantly though, it starts the semester off with what I consider the most important aspect of Technical Theatre. Two weeks at the beginning is a lot easier than a little here and there while waiting for a pertinent accident to happen to elaborate on something.

hstech.com has some great lessons and videos, very basic stuff. Google technical theater curriculum...

Thanks for the link but it's not coming up. :-( I went over safety and some rules but am thinking it would be better to go over it all thoroughly before we even start in the shop.

First off, I'd kill to have my kids for 90 minutes daily, I hope that you'll come around to that idea too! Secondly, what are they expected to do? Do they help you run the building for events? Is your space rented out frequently or is it just the annual concerts and shows put on by the school. I'd look at this from a perspective of what do the kids need to know to make them work more efficiently as a crew.

We start out teaching basic safety and rules for the space. Then we branch off into the different disciplines (lights, sound, carpentry, rigging, etc). For most of our events I need kids that can program lights and patch mics and run a mixer. If I don't have enough that can do that, I'm scrambling to run our rental shows.

An example of how I approach teaching them would be when we were going over lighting on Friday. I set up a pipe to practice hanging and focusing fixtures and they asked if they could patch in two lights on one circuit. I then led them through the process of figuring out if 2.4k dimmers could handle the load, etc. Some got it right away and others were blank-faced. I then said, 90% of the time, I will be doing the math on the plot and figuring out what loads can work. I need you to be able to run the board, hang and focus where I tell you to. If you plan on doing this after HS, even if you're just doing amatuer theatre, you probably want to know about load balancing and more about electrical theory, but if not- no worries.

I always give them as much info as they want, but make sure they know what they need to know to work and operate in this building. I really try to make it like OTJ training as much as possible, so a lot of what you'll want them to know will be based on what do they need to know to make your job functional and easier.

Here's another fun video I like to show kids-
http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/a-little-history-video.30398/#post-269735

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back