Brass Fasteners in Gel Holders or not?

Do you use brass paper fasteners on your gel frames?

• Yes, always

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Never

Votes: 43 66.2%
  • No idea what you're talking about

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters
If you have the cash, paper frames are safer and generally easier to use. Makes it easier to fit 2 frames in a frame holder - Frost plus Color as example.
I've never heard of paper frames. Can you describe them, or maybe post a link to a supplier? I'm sure they are something more than I am picturing right now...

I've never heard of paper frames. Can you describe them, or maybe post a link to a supplier? I'm sure they are something more than I am picturing right now...
More precisely known as cardboard frames. Available from Rosco. The early models, in the 1980s used to have a "tab" with a pre-punched hole for a brass paper fastener, so one could keep all the frames for each fixture together, as for a repertory system.

Basically a frame made out of a fire retardent material. Lighter then the standard metal, not likely to cause injury when falling out of an overhead fixture. Only issue is when being used with a fixure with short color frame holder tabs, like some Pars and my 1980's vintage Strand Lekolites, where the heat causes the frame to warp (and sometimes to fall out). Not a good choice on a ParNel or 750w S4 Par.

In addition to the Rosco frames

http://www.citytheatrical.com/

http://www.productionadvantageonline.com/Safety-Frames/

SB

"Super Summer Theatre" at Spring Mountain Ranch? You didn't work on Barnum, did you?

Nope...not the two years I worked there...summer of 05 and 06...this where I first met our common aquaintance.

Never used them, never heard of them until today... then I had to run down the ladder for the cut of diffusion I dropped! But still, for the time invested in putting brads into every cut of gel, I'd have to chase a lot of dropped cuts to balance out the time.

I'm going to go with charc and derek. ONE brad fastener, occasionally when needed, such as outside, or when I'm going to be switching frames around (such as in rep) and get tired of the gel falling out.

I don't like to use tape on my frames. Even gaff, the heat starts to cause the tape to gum up the frame even after a few shows.

So yea, not something I do often, but a preferred method over tape. Neither offer a time advantage.

Just sent out 200x brad paper fasteners to a show. Yep, still in use and so what if they don't survive a few uses, they are cheap and hold gel frames together - especially if changed during a show where one does now want the gel to go flying out of a frame thus disorganization.

On the other hand we also use another type of paper binder system. Can't describe it persay, but one with an applicator that as if spring clamp or paper binder clamp mounts to the outside of the gel frame but has a small size to it. Works decently along with paper binders in general as something that is an alternative.

Overall, using all three I think types of retaining the gel in a gel frame.

In my limited experience, the only times I've used fasteners were in cyc frames because the frame is two separate pieces.
Our cyc lights are like this.
I have not used brads, but now that it's mentioned, I think I'd like starting the practice for any windy outdoor shows. (There was one on top of the 7 story old bank building that my school is in we kept loosing gel during.)
Like Greenia, I don't like using gaff on frames, after enough uses--yes, even gaff!--it'll get gross.

If ever doing an outdoor show, you'll find paper fasteners are a must. I only do one per frame, or two if it's outdoors. Hint: use a drywall screw to poke the hole through the gel first, then insert the brad, they don't make them like they used to.

I've never used brads on my outdoor lights and I've never had any problems, even in Santa Ana Wind conditions.

I have to disagree a bit.

We do a large outdoor show each spring. I've never used brads out there.

The only fixtures (well, other than cyc lights) that I've ever really had troubles keeping the gel in were 5 degree Source-4's. On those, a small tab of gaff at the top center worked nicely. 10" frames might see the same treatment if they're really beat-up.

--Sean

Even with my 5 degree Source 4's, I've had no problems. That's not to say that I won't consider using them in the future.

I do have 24 lights in my inventory that I use brads on. These are household fixtures that I have added a gel frame to, which are permanently installed on a piece of scenery. With these lights brads are the only way I have, without gumming the lights up with tape, of keeping the gels from falling out.

I'll add my vote to never. I used to use them when we used to frame color changes on booms...now we just leave a frame in and slip the cuts behind it. And on followspots obviously.

My high school theatre teacher always taught us to use brads - we even have an unused roundel serving as a bowl for them next to our gel supplies... but usually we'll only use put one in one corner.

Never. But I do use them on gobo holders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back