"Break a Leg" - literally

lighthouse

Last night was final dress for Neil Simon's "Rumors". The character Ken was in the upstairs bedroom making his way down the escape stair when it became detached... he fell 6 feet, landing on the stair with his ankle under it.

He gets surgery today, we get a replacement on book for opening night.:(

Get well Ken!

so who built the stair and why did it break?

I did this show two years ago and a similar situation happened with one of the lead actors injuring her leg (cant remember what it was) and she had to be on crutches the entirety of the show.
Aside from the obvious negativity associated with injuries of the sort, it is somewhat comical since - if i remember correctly - the show ends up with several people injured.

Oddly enough, yesterday I saw "Rumors" as a humorous duet acting scene at a speech tournament that included the lawyer drawing blood after scraping his elbow on the table while trying to move the "dead body."

Speech tournaments can be pretty dangerous.

Clearly the problem is that whoever told the actor to "break a leg" that night didnt mean it. If they had actually meant it, you would not have had a problem.

Update: Opening weekend went off without a hitch, and our replacement never carried the script or called for a line. The original actor is resting comfortably & hopes to see the show next weekend.

As for what happened - I'm still not clear but it seems the "stair" (more of a ladder) was not attached properly to the platform. I'm not asking because everyone feels bad enough & we don't need to call out the person(s) responsible.

Update: Opening weekend went off without a hitch, and our replacement never carried the script or called for a line. The original actor is resting comfortably & hopes to see the show next weekend.

As for what happened - I'm still not clear but it seems the "stair" (more of a ladder) was not attached properly to the platform. I'm not asking because everyone feels bad enough & we don't need to call out the person(s) responsible.

Yes you do. This is America. ;) Even if you feel bad about a mistake/doing something wrong without realizing, we need to call you out, fine you, fire you, and probably beat you over the head with a stick. Because that really seems to prevent workplace problems, all that suing and crap. Actually, sounds like lesson learned. Good of the replacement to do well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back