Breakable Clock "Three Sisters"

Show doing: Sarah Ruhl's "Three Sisters"

Needed: multiple blue and white greenware clocks that are going to be smashed into the floor

Clock Specifics: four leg standing clock, looks like porcelain

Problem: can't find any online sources where I can obtain such items, or even unpainted greenware clocks that I can spruce up. I am personally very reluctant in trying to make the clocks (never did anything with clay since 2nd grade).

Plea: For those who did this show, or Chekhov's "Three sisters", how did you overcome this?

Sorry, I don't know the show. Can you get one that you like (maybe this), make a mold, and then make them of Plaster of Paris? Once they have a gloss finish, from stage distance they should look porcelain. You could possibly find a blank in one of the paint your own pottery shops, but that might be a slim chance. You might be able to source them from China. I have found www.aliexpress.com to be a good prospect from time to time.

You need a plaster mold for slip casting and whether you want greenware or bisque, I'm not sure, but believe bisque will break better and sound more real. Paint it with tempera or watercolors or whatever you want. It's not that hard - just mix clay powder with water and pour in mold, let sit a little, and pour out excess, leaving a shell. Let it dry and then to a kiln. I did this in college (40 years ago) and art department had the mold. Check high schools. I did not find one in a quick google search but think I could if I spent more time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back