Brighton Beach Memoirs

With $3600, you could get very far with the Gafftaper Method (see glossary entry). This would probably do you more good than actual movers for alot of shows. Say 4x icues, and some rotators, maybe two or three more scrollers.

Yea, $3,600 for one show lighting rental is pretty insane. We get $10k annually for absolutely anything theatre/drama/theater maintenance/tech related. We end up spending about $2,500-$3,000 per show, on anything, including rights.

$3,600 at three shows a year, after two years, could entirely turn over my inventory.

Personally? **** the Gafftaper Method. To me, this money sounds too good to be true, so get your inventory in order now. Think about the future. I think your successors will appreciate a nice well stocked inventory of conventionals rather than a handful of nice MLs they can't afford to repair.

Here are my thoughts:

Start with increasing the size of your conventional inventory, making sure you have all your bases covered, with extras, to allow you the most versatility in the future. With that much money, really cover your conventionals well, with variety and quantity.

Next, hit up sustainability, can you currently support what you have in the air? What if all the money dries up next season? I'd say organize an LX shop, and stock it with lamps, parts, tools, etc.. Make sure you have what you need to do your job down the road.

Now, get back to the Gafftaper method, and start buying yourself some DMX toys. I'd avoid moving lights, as aforementioned. Too easy to mess up, and repair is steep, not to forget mentioning that technology moves rapidly. Plus, what happens if in six years, no one is around who understands intel gear? Go with the components, seachangers, right arms/I-cues, DMX iris, scrollers, whatever. Rent MLs as needed.

My spare change.
I agree with Charc. Keep his spare change, and put it in a ROTH IRA, and ye shalt be rich! :lol:

What if your school wises up that 3.6K LX budget is way more than most schools get? You should start fixing yourself up for the future. Unless, your show budget is separate than the (oh, I'm totally blanking on the word, it might start with a c? Something along the lines of consumables. It's things you use up, and don't return to the rental company, such as tapes... help?) budget, in which case you might feel safe to assume you will always have enough operating budget for lamps and tie line, and can move on to the Gafftaper Method!
Plus, if you use the GT method, you get to keep a treasure chest full of wigglie and colorful toys, as opposed to a week and a half with a half dozen MLs.

How many shows do you put on a year? Do they all have budgets in that range?

I agree with Charc. Keep his spare change, and put it in a ROTH IRA, and ye shalt be rich! :lol:

What if your school wises up that 3.6K LX budget is way more than most schools get? You should start fixing yourself up for the future. Unless, your show budget is separate than the (oh, I'm totally blanking on the word, it might start with a c? Something along the lines of consumables. It's things you use up, and don't return to the rental company, such as tapes... help?) budget, in which case you might feel safe to assume you will always have enough operating budget for lamps and tie line, and can move on to the Gafftaper Method!
Plus, if you use the GT method, you get to keep a treasure chest full of wigglie and colorful toys, as opposed to a week and a half with a half dozen MLs.

How many shows do you put on a year? Do they all have budgets in that range?

Consumables sounds about right. Of course, basic supplies and miscellaneous crap work just as well.:)

Expendables?

Stuffs that get used up during shows. Blackwrap, blacktack, gel, gobos that get especially toasted, special gobos for the show, tie line to replace the stuff that gets cut because someone tied a granny knot in it really tight during rig, stuff like that.

Stuffs that get used up during shows. Blackwrap, blacktack, gel, gobos that get especially toasted, special gobos for the show, tie line to replace the stuff that gets cut because someone tied a granny knot in it really tight during rig, stuff like that.
The word (expendables) may also be applied to some members of Control Booth.:twisted: I believe our military uses the phrase "acceptable casualities."

The word (expendables) may also be applied to some members of Control Booth.:twisted: I believe our military uses the phrase "acceptable casualities."
Uh oh... Am I on the list?!
Or only users who have "gaff" in their user names? (As gaff tape is on the expendables budgets I get.)

Movers are fantastic if used correctly, but you really need to think about what your using them for

otherwise money wasted :)

Gaff's Law

Derek is one of them:mrgreen:

Hi,
I'd like to thank all of you for the help you have given me. We do two shows all year and the Winter One Acts (but in that, we just use stuff we already have). I will, in the end, have to talk with my other people to see what they think. But I agree that perhaps you are all correct!!!!!!

-LM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back