Building Platforms

carsonld

So currently our school is doing Footloose, And I am designing the set. Well the show is made up of many diffrent platforms, And currently the only way our drama direcotr knows how to build them is making two wagons and stacking them on top of each other and ends up looking a lot like this:
fgdfg.png
(Sorry for the bad drawing it was done in paint)
This is a great way but even when we do a 2 foot platform we do the same thing. This works but it cost a lot of money, Takes alot of work, And just does not give us the flexibilty. So I was wondering does anyone have any other ideas that they would like to share on an easier way to build platforms?

Most of the times I've seen or worked on Footloose it's been done almost entirely with scaffolding.

Well thats what I am doing with the bridge scene, But not only do I want to know how to build some for Footloose, But also other productions we do.

can you screw into your floor? Why do you need the botom bottom wagon? so everything can be moved on and off? for stationary stuff just leg it to the length you want, or build knee walls to that height and secure the platform to that. If you are tired of having the open look of a platform on a wagon and don't need to be inside, you can face it with luan or some other material to close it all off. As long as it is safe, the sky is kind of the limit.

My platforms are similar to JohnD's platforms in that I have the layer of plywood and the layer of sound deadening board at the 2 x 4 frame. I use the leg-o-matic system as I am always varying the height of the platforms. The leg-o-matic allows me to just have a 2 x 4 upright. If I go above 18" or so, I'll put in cross bracing.

LOL, in the interest of clarity, I wish I could take credit for the platform building post but it should be renamed "gafftapers platform system". It is a great thread for platform building since it also goes into other options.

I'm assuming that the reason you need the bottom wagon is to prevent the legs from butterflying out. In high school, I just used 1x4 (although 1x3 works as well) with 2 (and on face 3) screws a foot or so up from the bottom. If you need them to roll, you can frame out the legs in 1x4 and then put 5/8" ply corner blocks on the bottom of each leg. Then lag bolt casters in to the ply and leg. ALOT cheaper.

Clarfying vocabulary: A platform consists of a butt jointed frame with rails, styles, and toggles, and is skinned with 5/8 ply and sometimes more for sound or paints.
A wagon is a platform, but with casters.
Did you mean wagons on the bottom? is this thing wheeled? Because that's terrifying if it's taller than about 3 feet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back