Cable Cleat

Is this a homework question...? It sounds very much like one.

Much like Shawn' s other posts. If I remember he mentioned in one that he was studying for a carp test. I've never heard of it referred to as a cable cleat but I'm assuming you're talking about cleats on the edges of a flat that you would use to lash two flats together with.

Since there has been 3 or 4 threads maybe some kind of combined question asking thread would be a better choice, rather than a bunch of single question threads? I don't know which is better.

Last edited:
On the back of a flat, Broadway, one might find a French cleat, a stage brace cleat, lash-line hardware including a lash-line cleat, tie-off cleat, and stop cleat. Only once have I seen what might be referred to as a cable cleat. It was an odd affair with two vertical rows of teeth or fingers, around which one wound the 1/8" GAC suspension cable in a figure 8 pattern. One was attached to each stile, near the bottom.

One must question the concept of a cable cleat in general, as the sharp bends induced in the cable by the cleat eventually will destroy the cable. All wire rope has a minimum suggested bending radius--the reason we usually use a thimble as part of the termination.

I wonder if they might be using the term incorrectly, and meant instead a hanger iron?

-----

Shawn's course of study certainly leads us to some odd, non-standard terms; those not found in any of the common textbooks, such as Backstage Handbook, Stage Scenery: Its Construction and Rigging, and Scenery for the Theatre. I welcome the discussions, but question the use of the terms. Keep asking Shawzborne, and report back to us if you find a better answer than found here on CB. In another thread I believe you said you were studying for a "carpentry test." Are you taking a course or is this an independent study type of deal? Is it for a union entrance exam (see the thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/scenery-props-rigging/21412-skyhook-handrail-jack.html )?

Perhaps it would be best if you'd preface every question with
...I need some help with questions for a carps test that I am studying for,
I have many theatrical text books but haven't been able to find a straight answer for these questions. ...
so as to avoid giving the impression that you're trying to get us to do your homework for you. We like helping, but we're not too keen on actually doing another person's research for them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back