Cable/Power Surge Effect

So I am working on an effect for Cats when Macavity causes the power outage. For our production he is going to touch 2 large frayed cables together. We are going to be pyro/robotics for a sparks effect (licensed and insured) I know no one is allowed to suggest pyro but my question is about the middle part of the effect.

After he touches the cables together the main effect has to take place on the other side of the stage for safety and safe zones, the thought was to have a quick light pulse/chase across a line on the set to show the electrical surge as it gets to the other side where the box explodes.

Initial thought was LED tape and a chase but I'm not coming up with a good source for RGB tape that is digital so I can do the actual pixel map with DMX for under $250/10' section. I have the DMX channels available.

Trying to think up a more low tech solution. Some way to illustrate the quick surge of light moving across the front of a platform on the set.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated

You could try using something like this DMX to Arduino controller, which when connected to an arduino, could then set off a one time effect through LED tape. Most Digital LED Tape (Here, Here, Here)I have seen is in the $15/30 LED/m. If you wanted, you could go higher pixel density, or split the strip into smaller chunks and spread it out further (ie. just on a "bends" of a cable) to get a further distance. One cute trick I have discovered, is encasing LED Tape in cable strain relief or braided sleeving. It hides the effect and diffuses the light well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back