California Institute of Arts

Hey everyone, so i pretty much want to be a techie for the rest of my life. Ummmmmm I want to know if it would be a wise decision to spend alot of money on tuition at CalArts or just join my local stagehand union. Would going to CalArts benefit me in getting jobs easier? I probaly shouldve mentioned i want to be a light board op or a set builder. Thanks again for all the help!

while cal arts has a nice name but you'd be just as well off saving the money and getting an education somewhere cheaper or just jumping in somewhere and working. Look through this section of the forum, lots of great information about college choices/working. Derekleffew is also in Vegas so he may have some real good ideas for what to do close to you and he knows his stuff.

"Would going to CalArts benefit me in getting jobs easier?" yes and no. yes in that its a college degree and that usually helps, people like to see that. No in that it won't make a huge difference versus other schools. Also no because like I said in our industry you can just as easily work your way up through the ranks somewhere and train on the job and have the actual work experience which means you'd be in a better position 4 years from now than you would be fresh out of college.

Hell if the Millineum scholarship is still in effect you can get a food education at UNLV while working calls for the union.

Yeah you guys are right. thanks everyone. alot of help.

Like I said Derek is in your area you may want to shoot him some questions in a PM and see if he's got advice for vegas

Since you are looking more towards being a board op or working scenic, you would probably benefit from staying at home. CalArts has a wonderful program, but for what you are looking in the way of education, the cost wouldn't outweigh the benefits, even with the tuition increase at UNLV. You have the option of the Theater program or even look at the Entertainment Engineering program. The latter could probably get you work with companies like Fisher Technical locally in Las Vegas. There may be some great opportunities for you at the new Smith Center where there will be a wider variety of performances than the usual Vegas fair.

Note Ruinexplorer also lives in Vegas and would be a great person to chat with via PM for more personalized local advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back