Cell phone as a conference phone in a meeting

Moose Hatrack

Off site meeting coming up on Friday April 8. The meeting room has no landline, but there will be phone participants who need to hear the meeting and address the meeting. Is there a clean way to get audio out of and into an Iphone using the headset\mic jack? It would be nice to patch into the house system, but I can test using my own mixer, powered speakers and Bartlett mic and go from there. Has to be rock solid, and easy to set up because Murphy is at his best when the room is full of sales vice presidents who think anything technical would be a no brainer to a better IT staff. I welcome advice with gratitude.
So far I'm looking at this : http://www.jkaudio.com/daptor2.htm

Maybe a Skype session through a wifi personal hotspot gives you a few more options. I would try a Mitel UC360 networked through a cellular bridge but I have easy access. Latency will be an issue

Well, if you want to be really technical about it...

IMG_5902.JPG
IMG_5901.JPG

How big is the meeting room? These from Jabra work surprisingly well for their size.

I hope to get a look at the room today. (Even if the room is small enough for a Jabra 810, experience tells me they will reject $600.00 for a phone on a one-off meeting and then complain when the cheaper "solution" fails to impress.)
Regarding the images of the speaker phone, I can't tell if it is a truncated PT model or a newer unit that runs on the TP protocol. However, even though the label is all caps, the design is laudable. Whoever makes that unit has really cleaned up.
I'm afraid I lost respect for telephony when they abandoned TDM. Lost packets = more texting.

No time + no budget = no quality. The right tool for the job is a JK Audio BlueKeeper, but the cost is $500.

JK Audio BlueKeeper
Well I was in the right ballpark with JK, just the wrong product... and I was correct about rejection of the price tag for a Jabra 810. My telecom vendor is letting me borrow a Jabra Speak 510 which will most likely be way too small for the room. Here's how our folks will work around that: They'll hold a mic to the conference phone speaker when it's time for a remote participant to speak. It works well enough for them. If offsite meetings become a habit I may be able to get some $$$ to improve things. Now I have to admit I've never used bluetooth... is it likely to burn me?

If the off-site has no landline, does it at least have internet? Could you do a GoToMeeting and everyone calls into the GoToMeeting from their laptop or phones while wearing headsets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back