Control/Dimming CEM+ Sensor Portable Issue

Footer

Senior Team
Senior Team
Premium Member
Let me preface this by saying that I can not figure out why ETC replaced the original portable pack CEM which was dead simple to setup (3 dials and a switch for dimmer doubling) with a full CEM with 9 million functions a portable rack will never use.

I have a sensor 24 dimmer portable rack. It has a CEM+ running 1.2. It has been in storage for the last 3 months. I addressed the unit and began a dimmer check from the CEM. When I bring up dimmer 1, dimmer 1 turns on. Same goes 2. When I brought up dimmer 3, dimmer 8 turned on. It is acting like it is an installed rack with offset dimmer. The rack is set to SP12. I deleted all racks and started fresh, setting the rack as an SP12, setting the DMX address on Port A to 49, and enabling the DMX input. I am currently calling the Rack 1 with a start # of 1.

Also, is it even possible to get the CEM upgraded to version 2 so I can run it on "simple" mode?

Last edited:
Let me preface this by saying that I can not figure out why ETC replaced the original portable pack CEM which was dead simple to setup (3 dials and a switch for dimmer doubling) ...
You're describing an MPE:
proxy.php

not CEM Classic:
proxy.php

or CEM+ :
proxy.php

...When I brought up dimmer 3, dimmer 8 turned on. It is acting like it is an installed rack with offset dimmer. The rack is set to SP12. I deleted all racks and started fresh, setting the rack as an SP12, ...
Balanced or unbalanced rack? Split-phase or 3Ø? Every time I have an issue with CEM or CEM+, I call
ETC Tech Service at 1-800-688-4116
and have them walk me through it. There's too many settings to remember, and they aren't documented well. It's more efficient than me stumbling through menus, and it keeps starksk and his team employed.:lol:

Last edited:
You're describing an MPE:
proxy.php

not CEM Classic:
proxy.php

or CEM+ :
proxy.php

Balanced or unbalanced rack? Split-phase or 3Ø? Every time I have an issue with CEM or CEM+, I call
ETC Tech Service at 1-800-688-4116
and have them walk me through it. There's too many settings to remember, and they aren't documented well. It's more efficient than me stumbling through menus, and it keeps starksk and his team employed.:lol:

Called them, they are closed right now. I would have to page someone for an "emergency" situation. This is not really an emergency, I can talk to them on Monday. Its just annoying. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Its on 3 phase.

Today it's Tracy Fitch who's on pager duty. starksk's got the weekend off unless he's spending it sifting through the forums here.

I know this because I just got off the phone with Tracy. Sounds like it's been a hectic afternoon with a lot of people calling at the same time. Me and my lighting emergency? Oh, I just plunged the building into darkness while trying to fix something on my Legacy Unison system, which not only didn't fix the problem that could've waited until Monday, but escalated the issue to something that needed attention immediately.

I like the CEM+ on my SP12 rack, it would be difficult to use the ETCNet3 network in my theatre without it ;) However I understand your point...though I have never had trouble getting the CEM+ to do what I want it to and I don't understand why your's would go into some weird control mode just randomly. Has the battery in the Module died? maybe it lost all of it settings. If you do have a CEM+ and not a CEM Classic you shouldn't have any trouble upgrading your firmware to 2.0+ I do believe all it requires is a laptop with an internet browser and an ethernet cable. The CEM can be accessed and updated through the Web GUI.

Today it's Tracy Fitch who's on pager duty. starksk's got the weekend off unless he's spending it sifting through the forums here.

I know this because I just got off the phone with Tracy. Sounds like it's been a hectic afternoon with a lot of people calling at the same time. Me and my lighting emergency? Oh, I just plunged the building into darkness while trying to fix something on my Legacy Unison system, which not only didn't fix the problem that could've waited until Monday, but escalated the issue to something that needed attention immediately.

You just made my day funnier. Only because of how many times I've done something like that. One day I'll learn the middle of the night before ***** is needed for a show is not the time to do cleaning/upgrades/preventative maintenance/ take it apart for the heck of it/ any combination of the above on *****. :lol:

Let me preface this by saying that I can not figure out why ETC replaced the original portable pack CEM which was dead simple to setup (3 dials and a switch for dimmer doubling) with a full CEM with 9 million functions a portable rack will never use.

The short answer: because the chip used to make it was deemed end of life by the chip manufacturer and the hardware needed to change to support Net2.

I have a sensor 24 dimmer portable rack. It has a CEM+ running 1.2. It has been in storage for the last 3 months. I addressed the unit and began a dimmer check from the CEM. When I bring up dimmer 1, dimmer 1 turns on. Same goes 2. When I brought up dimmer 3, dimmer 8 turned on. It is acting like it is an installed rack with offset dimmer. The rack is set to SP12. I deleted all racks and started fresh, setting the rack as an SP12, setting the DMX address on Port A to 49, and enabling the DMX input. I am currently calling the Rack 1 with a start # of 1.

Also, is it even possible to get the CEM upgraded to version 2 so I can run it on "simple" mode?

Called them, they are closed right now. I would have to page someone for an "emergency" situation. This is not really an emergency, I can talk to them on Monday. Its just annoying. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Its on 3 phase.

Thank you for your patience. As you already know how to delete and regenerate defaults on your rack, I will not discuss that process here. It is best for those who don't know to call us so we can walk them through.

Footer, your rack is currently configured as a three-phase balanced rack instead of a three-phase straight rack. The fix is to go back through, delete all racks and regenerate defaults with the correct settings.

As for updating your software, absolutely! CEM+ can (and is encouraged) be updated via Sensor+ Connect. You will require a computer in the correct IP range, IE6 (or one of the patches for IE7/8), and the software. The software is available from Tech Services. Give us (them) a call on Monday and they will send you the code with the appropriate documentation.

I hope that helps!

Now back to my regularly scheduled vacation...

Footer, your rack is currently configured as a three-phase balanced rack instead of a three-phase straight rack. The fix is to go back through, delete all racks and regenerate defaults with the correct settings.

As for updating your software, absolutely! CEM+ can (and is encouraged) be updated via Sensor+ Connect. You will require a computer in the correct IP range, IE6 (or one of the patches for IE7/8), and the software. The software is available from Tech Services. Give us (them) a call on Monday and they will send you the code with the appropriate documentation.

I hope that helps!

Now back to my regularly scheduled vacation...

Yup, that did it. Its now all happy again. I will look at doing the software update in the coming months. In reality though, all I really care about with my dimmers is that they turn on when I tell them to and turn off when I tell them to. One reason I like my EDI 12 packs, they have one dial on them... rack number. Set the dial, walk away...

Thanks Kirk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back