Changing colors on moving lights

Shawncfer

So I've worked with high end Studio spots before and I know they have a color wheel inside that changes the color. But today I worked with some VL1000s and the color change is so smooth so I'm just wondering how that works?

And also, I was reading a LiveDesign article about Kevin Adams's lighting design for American Idiot. And he mentions his use of the VLX and how it's all LED. So how does that work?

Ah, you've discovered the joys of secondary color mixing! The High End Studio Spot, like many other lower-end or cheaper moving lights, just has a color wheel (or in this case, two). This is just a wheel with five slots (plus one for open) that you can put pieces of colored glass into, then you just tell the wheel what color to move to. This is easy and cheap, but it really limits how many colors you can have, and crossfading between colors is chunky and not smooth at all.

What the VL1000 has, similar to most other higher-end moving lights, is a three-wheel Cyan Magenta Yellow (CMY) color mixing system. Each manufacturer does this slightly differently, but basically, this system is made up of three separate glass wheels, one each for Cyan Magenta and Yellow, that have a gradient from totally clear to full saturation of the color. Each wheel is controlled individually, and as the wheel rotates, the more saturated parts of the glass wheel enter the beam of light. When the unit is in open white, the clear parts of each wheel are rotated to be in the beam of light. As you increase the value of the Cyan wheel (for example), it rotates and as it does, the higher saturation parts of the wheel start entering the light beam until the color is at its maximum saturation. When you select a color from the color picker or similar, you're just telling the three color wheels to go to specific values. Most people much prefer this CMY mixing over a color wheel - however, there is a slight disadvantage in that it's difficult to precisely match a specific color.

The VLX is a pretty cool new piece of equipment. It works on a four-color mixing system, mixing Red Green Blue (the primary colors of light) and White. By varying the relative intensities of each color, you can achieve a very wide range of colors. This works with LEDs much better than if you just set up three lights in Red Green and Blue because unlike with incandescent lights, dimming the LEDs doesn't result in any kind of amber drift that muddies up the color. Vari-Lite has done a great job at mixing the LED colors inside the fixture, allowing for a zoom function and eliminating the color shadowing often seen with cheaper LED units. Also, because they're LEDs, they almost never need to be replaced, there is much less heat generated (meaning less cooling fans, and therefore less noise), and the power consumption is considerably lower. We had a demo of the VLX here a few months ago, and it does a great job at doing what it's intended to do, but there's still a long way to go in the development of LEDs.

The VLX is a pretty cool new piece of equipment. It works on a four-color mixing system, mixing Red Green Blue (the primary colors of light) and White. By varying the relative intensities of each color, you can achieve a very wide range of colors. This works with LEDs much better than if you just set up three lights in Red Green and Blue because unlike with incandescent lights, dimming the LEDs doesn't result in any kind of amber drift that muddies up the color. Vari-Lite has done a great job at mixing the LED colors inside the fixture, allowing for a zoom function and eliminating the color shadowing often seen with cheaper LED units. Also, because they're LEDs, they almost never need to be replaced, there is much less heat generated (meaning less cooling fans, and therefore less noise), and the power consumption is considerably lower. We had a demo of the VLX here a few months ago, and it does a great job at doing what it's intended to do, but there's still a long way to go in the development of LEDs.

I knew the VLX was LEDs. I think that was a stupid question for me to ask. But it's just hard for me to imaging that LEDs could be that bright. I mean I know theres LED fixtures that are that bright, but they usually have many diodes of each color. It's hard to imagine there would be that many diodes able to fit in that fixture!

Thank you so much!

I knew the VLX was LEDs. I think that was a stupid question for me to ask. But it's just hard for me to imaging that LEDs could be that bright. I mean I know theres LED fixtures that are that bright, but they usually have many diodes of each color. It's hard to imagine there would be that many diodes able to fit in that fixture!

Thank you so much!

That's because the VLX doesn't use "regular" diodes

proxy.php

Ah, you've discovered the joys of secondary color mixing! The High End Studio Spot, like many other lower-end or cheaper moving lights, just has a color wheel (or in this case, two). This is just a wheel with five slots (plus one for open) that you can put pieces of colored glass into, then you just tell the wheel what color to move to. This is easy and cheap, but it really limits how many colors you can have, and crossfading between colors is chunky and not smooth at all.
]

The High End Studio Spot comes in a dual color wheel or CMY color mixing versions. I'm not sure what in your book would make it a low-end fixture??? It may be and older and not as widely used as much, but trust me they have been well toured and was one of the most popular units used in it's day.

Ah, you've discovered the joys of secondary color mixing! ...
As long as we're "correcting" our dear rochem ;), it's "subtractive," not "secondary" color mixing. The secondaries of one color mixing system are the primaries of the other.

/pedantic

And then there's the Martin Mac350, an LED fixture that uses a color wheel to do subtractive color (well, not mixing, flagging in this case). Took me a while to scratch my head over that one, but it's an amazing fixture and surprisingly intuitive once you actually use it.

And the congo blue flag isn't an engineer's joke... I actually used it in a few cues. THAT blew my mind with an LED fixture.

The High End Studio Spot comes in a dual color wheel or CMY color mixing versions. I'm not sure what in your book would make it a low-end fixture??? It may be and older and not as widely used as much, but trust me they have been well toured and was one of the most popular units used in it's day.

I should have been more clear and said older and lowER end, when compared to modern Vari-Lite and Martin fixtures. I have nothing against the Studio Spot, and it's a fantastic fixture, but it's simply not as powerful as some of the more modern fixtures available today.

/pedantic

Yup. :twisted:

And then there's the Martin Mac350, an LED fixture that uses a color wheel to do subtractive color (well, not mixing, flagging in this case). Took me a while to scratch my head over that one, but it's an amazing fixture and surprisingly intuitive once you actually use it.

Really? How is that possible? Almost by definition, LEDs have a significantly lower CRI than incandescent fixtures, producing narrow-band spikes within the visible spectrum, but the specs say the Mac350 has a CRI of 70. Does anyone know more about how this fixture works? Is the light source exclusively LEDs? Are all of the LEDs white, or is it a combination of multiple colors that make up an approximation of the full visible spectrum? When we had a demo of the VLX, we were told pretty much outright that inserting color media into an LED beam wouldn't produce very good results, so I'm really interested to hear what Martin did to make this usable.

Really? How is that possible? Almost by definition, LEDs have a significantly lower CRI than incandescent fixtures, producing narrow-band spikes within the visible spectrum, but the specs say the Mac350 has a CRI of 70. Does anyone know more about how this fixture works? Is the light source exclusively LEDs? Are all of the LEDs white, or is it a combination of multiple colors that make up an approximation of the full visible spectrum? When we had a demo of the VLX, we were told pretty much outright that inserting color media into an LED beam wouldn't produce very good results, so I'm really interested to hear what Martin did to make this usable.

This unit is not an RGB or RGBA or RGBAC... unit. The LED's are all white leds. No color control from the led. (you are getting more lumens per watt). The unit uses 50 watt LED's and (My memory is fuzzy here) there are six of them.

There are 7 white 50 watt LED's in the Mac 350. They are made by the same company that makes the LED chip for the VLX. On the 350 there is a special lens designed by a Danish University in conjunction with martin to homogenize the light from the LED's before it gets into the optical path. The LED's actually sit in a Concave "bowl" and they are aimed through this lens. In the Optical path there is the same mechanism for Colors and Gobos as the SmartMac. There is an 8 Color Flag Wheel, and then a Gobo wheel. There is a focusable lens and iris as well at the front of the fixture.

If you can get your hands on a 350, Turn it off and look down the lens. you will be able to see the LED sources and the comining lens at the end of the fixture. Its pretty cool, when I did a demo of the fixture before it was in production and I had a beta version fixture from Martin, they made Myself, the sales rep and the people that we were demo'ing the fixture sign a "waiver" saying we were not going to take the fixture apart and reverse engineer the Source Lens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back