Chauvet Ezpin?

dpak

Has anyone used this? I'm considering buying the 6 pack. I teach high school drama and it seems like we could find lots of uses for it. I like that it is battery powered and remote controlled. It might be good to have some lights that don't have to be connected to the light board and can be put in odd places. I know it's a pretty narrow beam, but they seem bright and could be used for different effects. If you have used them, are they as versatile as they seem to be?

While I have used chauvet's pinspots (and hated them), I've never used these particular ones. To me, they really don't seem like fixtures fit for use in a theater.
What are you going to use them for? Specials I presume? If I'm understanding you right, you want to integrate these things into your existing system? Meaning that they will be used for a particular show throughout all the rehearsals and runs?
Seems like a bad idea.

Here's why I say this:
- In my experience, pin spots don't cut through stage light at all. It has to be nearly dark for them so be seen.
- These things have a very narrow beam. This means that you'll either A: have to use multiple units at close range to cover a modest area or B: put them far away and sacrifice signal and lumens.
- They are not dmx. Do you plan on running a show with a kid sitting backstage with that little plastic remote trying to hit the cues at the same time as the board op? Its just waiting for disaster.
- If you plan to put them in hard to reach places, you have to get into those places every day to install them and then again at night to get them down for charging.
- They're pretty expensive for what you're getting

My high school has a large theater (seats 1700) & theater program so maybe my woes with pinspots are due to the space, and these will work for your space better. But in a moderately sized venue, I wouldn't use these.
I usually just go with the ol' Source 4 when I need a special.

If you have money to spend, get a source four mini. It's the same size, but a hell of a lot more powerful. You could still get units into those tight spots, and for a little extra dough you could have a pretty awesome little special system. Get that 4 pack of S4 minis and a cheapo supplementary dimmer pack if need be and you'll be much better off.

EDIT: If you want led, get the Source four mini LED for like $100 more

Good luck.

For theater I do not see a real use for them (other than lightsabers or flashlights).

For weddings and special functions, they are a great cheap functioning fixture. However, you trade off price for:

Lack of beam spread/lens choice,
Awful color temp (can gel to get a close incandescent match)
Battery only lasts 5 hours fully charged (Haven't had any end users complain yet, but I know it will come sometime soon)
Not one clamp I own has a bolt that will fit through its mounting hole. The magnet works great, haven't used the scissor clips, but it would be nice to be able to clamp if I have to.

The Fuel Systems Angle Light is much better, but I can buy a pack of 6 of these for 1 of those...

Just my rants, I am a picky person, so YMMV

There are not a theatrical light, they are made for pinspoting centerpieces at wedding receptions. They actually work pretty well; a few event companies around town use them. You can use a long pole to attach them to the ceiling(right to airwall tracks, and drop ceilings, and the magnet will stick to something as small as a drywall screw.

I would buy these before the old fashioned pin-spots that have to plug in and are needlessly heavy because they use a transformer and 6v lamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back