Fixing DMX light after MPX plug in?

abkas98

Hi all! First time poster, any help is much appreciated.

I recently started a new job as the lighting designer/technician in a small venue space. They run their whole grid on two big daisy-chains, and when recently hanging a different plot I accidentally plugged into the multiplex option on the bottom of a dimmer pack instead of the DMX option. I'm sure you see where this is going.
It was pretty early on into the start of the daisy-chain, thank god, but I think I fried 4 lights. I didn't even know killing a dmx chip because of multiplex was a thing that could happen, but after some research I think that's my situation.

My question is: can I replace that part inside the light? And how difficult would that be?
I can't figure out exactly what chip it is or where in the light it lives.
The units are two Chauvet SlimPAR QUAD 12s, and two Chauvet Intimidator Spot LED 150s.

It's a very small venue and these units were donated in the first place, so buying replacements isn't really an option. Any experience anyone has with this would be helpful! Thank you!

Follow the traces from DMX input pins 2 and 3 to the chip they go to. That's the receiver chip. If the manufacturer was smart, it is socketed, otherwise it has to be de-soldered. De-soldering without lifting and breaking traces takes some skill and good tools.

Please visit www.chauvetparts.com to order and parts you need. If you can't find the part, just give the Parts team a call and they will help you out.
Note that these fixtures were discontinued 7 years ago, so parts may no longer be available.

Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 6.01.55 PM.png

Here is a picture from someone selling a used intimidator circuit board on eBay. If there is a separate DMX receiver chip it would be one of the 8-pin surface-mount. As was mentioned, good soldering skills would be needed to replace the chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back