Chauvet Ovation C-805FC - How Many?

JRobinson

I'm looking into buying some new cyc lights for a photo/video studio space. I have three walls I need to light, and I'm debating between the ETC Colorsource CYC and the Chauvet Ovation C-805FC. ETC has an app that allows you to figure for how many fixtures you need, but I can't find any comparable app or information on Chauvet's website. So here's what I'm looking at:

3 Walls
Fixtures to be hung on suspended grid at 12'
Distance from wall is a minimum of 18", but can go back as far as 10' (possibly more) if necessary (just looking for "sweet spot" for best coverage of wall)

Wall Lengths:
East Wall: 25'
North Wall: 28'
West Wall: 31'

East and West walls both connected to North wall, so a corner fixture could be a possibility to light the far corners where each one meets.

Based on the calculations in the ETC app, I'm looking at about 14 fixtures between the three walls. Would the C-805FC be similar?

Hi J,
The comparable fixture to the Colorsource Cyc is Chauvet’s Ovation Cyc1FC. Spacing should be pretty similar. I recommend you get one of each in your space, and shoot them out.
if you need assistance with getting a Demo of the Chauvet unit, DM me.

Hi J,
The comparable fixture to the Colorsource Cyc is Chauvet’s Ovation Cyc1FC. Spacing should be pretty similar. I recommend you get one of each in your space, and shoot them out.
if you need assistance with getting a Demo of the Chauvet unit, DM me.
I was interested in the split fixtures on C-805FC. I do see how the Cyc1FC definitely matches more to the ETC, but was thinking I might be able to take advantage of the split fixtures for some specialty lighting situations.

The C-805FC will definitely do what you need. Its better for a taller wall, but you should still be able to get nice split color effects across your 12' height. I usually recommend 3-4' from the Cyc. In this case, since you're going to be lighting from above, and need to hit all the way up to the grid (I assume)... I'd go back about 3.5', and yoke the unit toward the wall. Then you can aim one cell high, and the other low. If the top cell bleeds down too much, you can move the unit a little closer to the wall (making the projection smaller), and use a linear diffuser in the gel frame to widen it out, and even out your coverage side-to-side.
Either way, your quantity of fixtures will be similar.
I still recommend getting a unit in your hands to try out, before you buy. and I still suggest having the competitive fixture on-hand to see how they compare.

The C-805FC will definitely do what you need. Its better for a taller wall, but you should still be able to get nice split color effects across your 12' height. I usually recommend 3-4' from the Cyc. In this case, since you're going to be lighting from above, and need to hit all the way up to the grid (I assume)... I'd go back about 3.5', and yoke the unit toward the wall. Then you can aim one cell high, and the other low. If the top cell bleeds down too much, you can move the unit a little closer to the wall (making the projection smaller), and use a linear diffuser in the gel frame to widen it out, and even out your coverage side-to-side.
Either way, your quantity of fixtures will be similar.
I still recommend getting a unit in your hands to try out, before you buy. and I still suggest having the competitive fixture on-hand to see how they compare.
Thanks for all the info! It's definitely helpful. And I'll see about losing into a demo with both units.

Going back to my original question, does Chauvet have information or a calculator to figure out how many fixtures would cover the wall? I know part of that would be dependent on distance, but I wasn't sure if you might have a spec sheet with more specific info on the throw coverage.

Chauvet does not have a Cyc Calculator. I can definitely talk to our marketing team about creating one!

The Cyc1FC and the Colorsource Cyc are both excellent products that are very similar in size and performance with slight differences that probably come down to personal taste. So as Ford said you should really compare the two side by side in your theater. Your local dealer should be able to make that happen.

The advantage I see of the Cyc1FC over the C-805FC is it is MUCH lower profile and I believe it can be positioned closer to the wall. (@Ford ?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back