Class/Certification Advice

Jamyo

Hello All!

I am currently a technical director for an 800 seat auditorium. My auditorium is connected with a high school and the stage crew I am in charge of is made up of students and they work all rental, professional and school district events with me.

Here's my question - While I have nearly 20 years of experience in theater, I do not have a formal degree in technical theater. I studied tech. theater for a year and a half and have attended a few conferences/workshops over the years. Should I pursue a degree in tech theater or just go along as I have been? Eventually I would like to move into a facility director position but until then I would like to build my skills as a T.D. Any advice?
Thanks!:)

You managed to pick the one world to work in that a degree really matters... education. Do you know the requirements for the facility director position you are after or is this just a pie in the sky thing? I'm not actually sure you would get much out of a degree beyond industry standards and a whole lot of annoyances. Theatre programs are not really designed for the non-traditional student unfortunately. Do you have any type of bachelors degree? If you do, an MFA program at any university might be up your alley. That being said, as long as you are not tied down to your current job or current city. If you have enough experience and go to the right University, they might even be able to look the other way about haveing a bachelors degree. You might not graduate with an MFA but a certificate instead.

Either way.. I would only go back to school if you need to. The production world will take experience over a degree. They like degrees, but like experience more. Unless you feel you have hit a ceiling with what positions you are qualified for, I would stay where you are at. At the most, I would start looking for a new job where you are not the top of the pecking order and you can learn from people more experienced then you. Get out of academia and get a job at a LORT theatre or a road house. At the least, go work overhire at your local road house. Do anything you can to learn more from others. Oh.... and hang out here more often. That helps too.

Two factors immediately come to mind for me. One Kyle noted and that is what the positions you are pursuing might require in terms of a degree. The other could be what your 20 years of experience represents. I know people that have 20 years of experience that represents 20 years of misunderstandings and misconceptions that would first have to be unlearned before they could really advance. I also know people with 20 years of great mentoring, training and experience that probably have already taught them everything they would learn in obtaining a degree and more. And many more somewhere between those extremes. In effect, would a degree be receiving information and training you never received or more a formality of getting the diploma to fulfill a requirement for the job?

This is a question I ask myself all the time. The truth is; the Path ahead is always different for everyone. Education in any form is always beneficial. The Question on getting a degree as mentioned above is complete up to you. I’ve been in a situation where the Promotion Ladder has run out on me due to education. I’ve also been in the situation where I’ve gotten hired well beyond a position typical for someone with a Masters. These jobs have always been right place right time. Also keeping your ear to the ground and making yourself avalible to what is out there.
I do find it important to keep up with current educational classes. Maybe not a degree, but I’ve taken quick classes in AutoCAD, (to keep up with/ or stay ahead of current Drafting expectations), Computer language classes ex. Java and such (for AMX and Creston repairs or upgrades). I jump on board any free training dealing with Sound or Lights (Sound web, Yamaha Digital boards, Lighting Consoles Grand Ma, Hog, or ETC ION or EOS). In management I do less hands on with the consoles as I use to, but at least it keeps me somewhat familiar. This industry is constantly advancing and people are left behind everyday from failure to improve themselves. I have found also the Academic word doesn’t move as fast as the professional word, and the Curriculum a lot of times isn’t realistic to what is expected from an employer or the profession industry. I also know that it would feel really good not to have something as silly as a piece of paper holding me back from what I know I can do. Unfortunately, a lot of times it does.

Jamyo, if you are planning on moving into a facility director position, then you may want to consider something other than a typical technical theater degree, but more of an administration degree. While maybe not ideal, there are plenty of online courses in business administration which can better fit with a full time career. If you are looking more at being a Technical Director, there are different kinds. I was a TD at a roadhouse, but the skills that I needed there are different from a TD for a LORT theater or corporate theater. Is there a reason that you are looking to move beyond where you are? Have you reached the top and need to be able to move somewhere else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back