Color Suggestions for Followspot

As a starting point, I usually put in the same colours that I have in my front washes. I usually want my spots to punch through my other colours onstage. I've rarely needed saturated colours, but as @techieman33 says, it depends on a lot of variables, not the least of which is the actual show that you are lighting at the time.

R02 05 08 a CTO a deep blue and deep pink/purple

Last edited:
It really depends on the production. If it is mainly being used for pulling out the performer from the saturated light all around them, then you want a light tint with a high CRI, that has a lot of the full spectrum in it. Colors such as those Rob shows in the post above- R33, R60, R64, R02, R54. All great choices. If you are doing a Musical such as Wicked, then you'll want a dark Green as well for the Wicked Witch when she makes an appearance, or some such. If doing ballet, think about the color pallets on the costumes, and perhaps more Pinks and lavenders. But you definitely want them to be very high transmission, and low saturation, and to have a full spectrum in what they emit so costumes and skin tones render somewhat accurately, otherwise it defeats the purpose of a followspot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back