Followspot Recommendations

akeiffer

Hi there! I'm a student at my college's small theatre company, and we're looking for new followspots. We operate out of a pretty large auditorium, around 800 seats, and would need about 100' of throw distance. We've been using some older Altman 1000Q spots but we'd like some that use less power, are quieter, and are brighter at that distance. I'm looking to buy one spotlight for around $4,000-$5,000. I've been looking at the Lycian Zot LED or Zot 7, as well as the Altman AFS-500 or AFS-700, but without requesting a demo I'm not sure what would be best. I would like LED for the lower power consumption, but I need it to be bright enough. Any recommendations?

Request a demo. It's a big expense and should last you decades.

I haven't had my hands on either of these, but almost any led offering will certainly beat a 1000Q. So you're looking at longevity, operation, and ergonomics.

The Altman spot advertises a 7600K LED, which is almost offensively blue-white. It'll look very punchy on a blank stage, but make sure your demo looks at it in scenes as well. I don't see the color temp on the lycian spot.

Looking at controls, I'd feel much better with the lasting power of lycians dowser and boomerang than Altman's touch screen. I don't need my spot to do tricks, I need it to work, and keep working, for lots of years with lots of people of various skills. Lycian has proven themselves in this field with their bigger spots.

The Robert Juliat Roxie2 might be in your price range. As always get a demo in your space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back