Digital Surfaces Compare Digital Mixers

nd925a

Before I start this post is mostly out of curiosity.
I've been trying to research different Digital mixers just to keep up on what new and hot, but I couldn't find any threads that were truly comparing different brands and models.
So Brethren of the Knob and Fader I'm asking for reviews of any digital mixer you've touched and pros and cons in different applications and budget ranges.

I was looking for more blanket opinions without a specific application in mind.

I was looking for more blanket opinions without a specific application in mind.

It's pretty difficult to judge a mixer without thinking about an application honestly, as a lot of mixer features are only valuable for specific uses. Similar to asking "what's better, a mustang or a pickup truck", well it depends...

Some consoles are great for touring concerts, others theater, TV broadcast, radio, music recording studio, etc. For example, A Presonus StudioLive can be a great fit for small school theaters, but would be horrible in post-production sound studio.

It's pretty difficult to judge a mixer without thinking about an application honestly, as a lot of mixer features are only valuable for specific uses. Similar to asking "what's better, a mustang or a pickup truck", well it depends...

Some consoles are great for touring concerts, others theater, TV broadcast, radio, music recording studio, etc. For example, A Presonus StudioLive can be a great fit for small school theaters, but would be horrible in post-production sound studio.
Definitely true. One of the things people often forget with digital mixers is that while it might be possible to directly compare numbers of physical inputs and outputs, numbers of mix buses, numbers of subgroups/mute groups/VCAs, numbers of graphic and parametric EQs and so on without considering the application, that comparison can become more complex when addressing mixers with expansion capability, flexible routing, etc. A recent example was someone comparing two digital mixers noting that Mixer A had direct outputs for every channel while Mixer B had no direct outputs. Not only is that probably not relevant unless you need those direct outputs but the reality is that Mixer B could be configured to provide direct outputs if they were required.

Beyond that, even more difficult to compare are critical factors that do not necessarily have objective measurements or descriptors such as workflow, flexibility in configuration, ease of use, sound quality and so on. And how do you objectively compare the tech rider acceptance factor?

You also get into all sorts of details, for example DiGiCo mixers that support mono or stereo channels and mono or stereo buses. Or Midas with their SIS approach to LCR panning. And how do you compare network connectivity that is more generic (CobraNet, EtherSound, MADI, Dante, etc.) with that which is more proprietary (REAC, ACE, ULTRANET and so on) as simply saying it has network audio and even the number of channels supported does not tell you the whole story?

Last edited:
The Soundcraft Vi4 is good.

I like mixing bands on a Presonus just fine. I would not want to do theater on it, as using scenes does not work well (or works well but is a nuisance).

I've not mixed on the X32 but I've fondled it a bit and I think I'd like it for either use (once I confirm that scenes work OK).

The GLD is nice, but I recall reading about a problem with scenes (unverified) - it's also a lot more expensive, but that includes digital stage boxes.

Similarly priced is the Roland 480. I've never seen one in the flesh - it seems to have a nice feature set - save for the proprietary communication protocol.

About the same price is the Midas Pro1. Pros (sound) and Cons (some lack of facility).

Priced in-between is the LS9. For the money it's lacking in features, though it could be nicely improved via a firmware upgrade (that I've been hoping for a couple years on now). These days I can't see getting one unless it's a used one for say $5500 - and even then I might go for an X32 (for $5500 one could almost get an X32 and a spare!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back