Conv.s in California

Blake

Hey guys and girls,
I am a HS Soph, I really want to go to some cons or trade shows to make contacts and learn! Any help would be much appreciated!

P.S.
Are there any other places like CB?

Hey Blake,

There are some conventions that end up in California from time to time. USITT makes its rounds there every few years. There are also a few vendors who will offer product specific events. Keep an eye out on the threads as people often share events in their area or even ones that they find out about but cannot attend themselves.

As for other places like CB, that's tough. There are definitely other forums on theater technology, but it could be difficult to argue that they are like CB. Many of us have found this to be the best community due to the variety of membership and topics. What are you looking for?

Cirque usually does some sort of training weekend/conference at a college in So Cal (can't remember which one off the top of my head) and there was Event Live Conference in LA this past year, not sure if that's a yearly thing.

So, since you asked specifically about California, there's a small one near San Francisco later this month. The E4 AV Tour is coming to a city near you

However, Las Vegas is closer to your stated location. LDI will be coming up in the fall.

Not sure how old you are, but you must be over 16 to attend LDI so keep that in mind. Although LDI is really cool, and you would learn a lot, it's not designed to meet the needs of students. It's much more focused on dealers, gear, and high end pros (not that gear isn't cool, it is, but while candy is great, you should try to get some meat). USITT is the convention that is designed for students. It will be in Fort Worth Texas March 26-29 2014. If I were you I would focus on trying to get to USITT. It's an AMAZING experience especially for Juniors/Seniors who are trying to pick a college and for college students.

So you will be a H.S. Junior next year?

Most of these conventions really focus on college students and older for the simple fact that travel is a lot harder when you are younger. Plus a lot of LDI is about trying to sell $50,000 light boards and video walls worth half a million... you really don't have the budget to be a customer at your age. LDI is a lot of fun to dream and drool about the gear and you would definitely learn. But the classes aren't really designed for someone your age. Vegas at 16 for LDI is a never ending question of where you are allowed to stand, walk, and eat.

USITT, even though it is in Texas is the show designed for your needs. There are high schools that do convention trips to USITT (it's not that different than taking the actors to Broadway) and there are also plenty of people who travel with a parent. I saw several parent/student groups at USITT this year. Besides, endless class sessions on amazing topics at USITT, the Expo where you get to see all the cool toys, there are lots of university representatives there. So it's an especially good thing for a Junior trying to decide what university to attend. If I were you that would make that a big part of my sales pitch to my Mom.

Last edited:
/off-topic
Every time I saw this thread I thought it should be about "Convicts in California" so I changed the thread title to "Conv.s in CA". Still not great, but I refuse to use a possessive apostrophe to indicate a plural.

I agree, go USITT before LDI. Also watch for the regional PLASA Focus Events. Smaller shows, but better for everyone (both attendees and exhibitors) involved.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back