Control/Dimming ETC Nomad and Element 2 connecting issues

Hey all,

I'm having issues trying to connect my laptop to the theatre's ETC Element. I've never done this before and reading through the forums haven't really helped me. I've check and the networks and version don't match and I don't know how to make them match. I'm connected to the board from my laptop via a CAT5 but if I can connect via wifi that would help too since I don't know if my adapter is working.

I just want to be able to program from the house since the sight lines from the booth are awful and I can't see what I'm doing.

Thank you so much for any help.

You've got a few issues here it seems.

1. EOS Version- This must match for them to connect. ETC has all the necessary software downloads. When you hit ABOUT on the console and in Nomad it will show you the version. You either need to downgrade the higher version unit, or upgrade the lower version one. If you've never done this before on a console, or the venue doesn't want you to change it, you may wish to match your Nomad to the Element 2's version. Uninstall and re-install the version you need.

2. Connecting- is your laptop connected directly from you adapter to the network port on the Element, or do you have a network switch in between? Port 1 or Port 2? If you don't have a network switch you should install one. Again, ABOUT will show you the IP address of the Element. Right now your computer is likely trying to find an IP address from DHCP and is like getting a bunk 169.x.x.x one. You need to change your laptop's IP address to a compatible one in the working range. Here is the standard IPs ETC suggests. You can setup a wireless access point, but again you need to make sure that device is setup in the correct IP range.

Finally, do you have a Nomad USB Key (or dongle as also called)? If not, your laptop will essentially be just a viewer for what is happening on the Element; it won't allow you to issue commands from the laptop.

You've got a few issues here it seems.

1. EOS Version- This must match for them to connect. ETC has all the necessary software downloads. When you hit ABOUT on the console and in Nomad it will show you the version. You either need to downgrade the higher version unit, or upgrade the lower version one. If you've never done this before on a console, or the venue doesn't want you to change it, you may wish to match your Nomad to the Element 2's version. Uninstall and re-install the version you need.

2. Connecting- is your laptop connected directly from you adapter to the network port on the Element, or do you have a network switch in between? Port 1 or Port 2? If you don't have a network switch you should install one. Again, ABOUT will show you the IP address of the Element. Right now your computer is likely trying to find an IP address from DHCP and is like getting a bunk 169.x.x.x one. You need to change your laptop's IP address to a compatible one in the working range. Here is the standard IPs ETC suggests. You can setup a wireless access point, but again you need to make sure that device is setup in the correct IP range.

Finally, do you have a Nomad USB Key (or dongle as also called)? If not, your laptop will essentially be just a viewer for what is happening on the Element; it won't allow you to issue commands from the laptop.
Thanks! I got it to connect. Yeah my versions were just slightly off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back