Criminal charges filed against pay-to-play audition scheme

MNicolai

ETCP Certified Technicians
Fight Leukemia
"I want to underscore what the rules are," said Feuer, at a press conference on Thursday morning announcing these new criminal charges. "It's unlawful to charge any performer for an audition even if that supposed activity is disguised as a workshop."

"I'm here to announce the results of an investigation that began last year into alleged scams. Today we filed charges. I hope the filing of these charges against five casting agencies, these so-called casting workshops and against a number of individuals — more than two dozen altogether — will send notice that any talent scam will aggressively be pursued by this office. And as a result, this will cease. I will name them. Each defendant could face jail time and significant penalties."

Feuer continued: "Aspiring performers who pursue their dreams should be treated with respect and never be exploited for profit."

Source

I'd like to know more information on how much they where charging and what kind of rolls the auditions where for. I think a small amount (something close to the cost to use the space on a normal day like $10-20) for a relatively big audition could help focus the talent pool to people that are serious about being there. Obviously if they're charging $100+ to audition as an extra that's predatory, but if there's a chance for a big part thinning the crowd could be an advantage to everyone involved.

I would think someone of talent would have an agent who would pick up that cost since you are paying the agent. At least that is how I see it.

The production is planning all the costs and profits. I think it's entirely fair to expect them to foot the bill!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back