Custom Gobo Question

I work at a high school that will be hosting a big event in several weeks, and I would like to obtain some custom gobo's with an event logo to project on walls around the venue.

In my research, I have found the normal street price for a custom steel gobo to be between $65 and $85. Normally, not that bad, but with the whole budget crisis and other major event costs, the event planner is not willing to spring for the "aesthetic appeal" I'm hoping for.

So, I'm left with a wild idea... How hard could it be to cut my own gobo? I have an exacto knife, an accurate printer, and Photoshop... the question is what material to use?

I have been guided by other techies to "Black Wrap".

I only need the material to last for up to 16 hours, and if I have to I can totally make several backups to replace over the course of the 2-day event.

Has anyone ever tried using BlackWrap as a "ghetto" gobo? Any other fun materials? Were there performance issues?

Pie plate is usually the go to material. I have etched my own using old paper printing steel, but that requires actually doing the etching
Posted via Mobile Device

Pie pan and X-acto knife. You can do it but it's very hard to get a really clean image. Take your time, practice, be VERY careful as it's easy to either cut yourself or to destroy your work.

I keep saying: "Disposable aluminum baking sheets, available in any supermarket." More flat surface area to work with. BlackWrap, or equivalent, is too thin to achieve any sort of detail. I've never tried a soda can, but suspect it would be dangerous to work and the coating on both sides would burn and smoke in the gate of an ERS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back