Cutting Marley

cvhstech

Hello all,

So we got Marley donated to us today. Some of the marley is uneven on the long side. I wanted to cut it length wise to even this out. What would be the best way to cut this straight? Has anyone attempted to cut marley length wise before?

Thanks!

Screw down a straight piece of wood and score it until your through.

If your not confidant in the straightness of wood use steel.

The long side? Does it have chipping or is it hourglassed?

If you just got it donated odds are it was sitting in storage for a long time. Before you take a blade to it you need to get the floor to relax. Wait for a hot day and lay it out in a parking lot. You will be amazed how much it will move.

After you get it relaxed and laying out, snap a chalk line as a guide. Pencil marks every 5 ft. Then use a metal straight edge, either 1.5" flat carpet metal 12 ft long or 10 ft aluminum angle. Overlap 2ft as you move along. Keep a sharp blade.

Aaack! You just gave me heartburn. Is that from experience?
Im sure with a dull blade a gas mask and proper protection it would be fine. Right? lol

Yes there's a special blade to use so it doesn't gum up. It was a dance floor installation company who I saw do it. They got the idea from another floor installation company who always cut linoleum that way. Also something about plastic sheeting in between if it's super flexible like Harlequin Reversible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back