Cyc Light Lamp Choices

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at a few different options for the standard lamp in our several different kinds of cyc units from throughout the ages. Literally everything from Broad Cyc to ECHO to Sky Cyc to Arturos and even Iris!

Currently debating between:
-FFT
-FCM
-FCL
-FDF

Let me know your thoughts from experiences! I don't think any of these will cause serious issues with the optics, so I think we will go with FCM. Really like the FCL for the smaller units, but was hoping for a 3200K option rather than a 3000K long life option (I admittedly have a grudge against long life lamps).

Thanks in advance!

-FFT - MOL 6.9/16" (MOL= Maximum Overall Length); 1Kw Clear Quartz lamp
-FCM - MOL 4.11/16"; 1Kw Clear Quartz lamp; 400 hours in lamp life - high output in lumens.
-FCL - MOL 4.11/16"; 500w Clear Quartz lamp; 2,000 hours in lamp life (loss in lumens) - long life
-FDF - MOL 4.11/16"; 500w Clear Quartz lamp; 400 hours in lamp life (high output) - exchanging high output in lumens for lamp life.
For starters, I would give a good service call in wiring and especially lamp sockets to the RSC based fixtures. RSC lamp sockets have huge problems with arching which can be fixed or replaced. But it’s a frequent problem that needs work on and attention to with each lamp change or yearly service call.
Next as noted above, you have a bunch of different needs or lamps in question.
The Sky Cyc needs it’s specific lamp for lamp and is not convertible to the others. GE once had the FFT/HIR lamp #20884, it was 650watt and exactually the same in spec as the normal FFT, except slightly higher in color temperature. Don’t know if still available, but that’s the lamp I would shoot for in saving energy + dimmer loading and getting a better color temperature.
Otherwise in being a filament dirct to focus lamp, I normally recommend going with a frosted lamp instead of a clear lamp in such fixtures. In this case there is not a frosted lamp for the sky cyc. Go for the lower wattage HIR lamp if possible and buy a lot of them, because if not discontinued, they probably will be soon. Doubt there will be a LED option for this lamp type ever. Too odd a lamp MOL length given LED fixtures are a direct replacement for it now.
Next set of fixtures is the 4.11/16" MOL lamped fixtures, which are also all open faced I believe - where the lamp is not masked behind a housing. Again, I prefer a frosted lamp for all of these situations. Frosted lamp just washes out it’s light better in its purpose.
FCM verses FDF in FCM at 400 lamp hours are high output, verses FDF in long life. FDF high output verses FCL in similar specifications for 1Kw - Long life verses high output. 500w verses 1Kw. I would think a theater don’t need 1Kw and would want long life. FDN frosted is high output, FCZ are long life in the 500w long life range.
I prefer frosted lamps and for a theater with a budget, long life lamps specified. FCZ is a great 500w frosted long life lamp. On the other hand FCM/HIR GE #13895 has almost as much output as the 1Kw FCM, but much less wattage. This if still on the market.
Again, key role in such RSC based fitures is going to be maintaining them. Once the lamp socket gets arched, unless re-surfaced, your perfectly good lamp installed into it will last by my figure 100 hours less than the last lamp installed or removed with a bad base. And the time clock runs down until the fixture stopps working or it just gets too many changes on the same fixture, or too many lamp changes in being dim - the same fixture again... And again, perhaps someone might figure it out. (I digress as per a bad lamp inspector by profession.) RSC fixtures have a history of commonly going bad so watch the lamps and sockets to the lamps as you remove them. If showing any arching or heat discolor aging damage, perhaps replace it. In addition to arching, springs weaking on such a base is common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back