Didn't know they made these--colored dichroic PAR lamp

ajb

While I was rearranging a box of randomly assorted lamps and bulbs, I ran across this little oddity. As you can see, it's a medium screw base PAR38 lamp, but with a twist--it has a colored dichromatic coating!

(you can click through to Flickr for all photos)

Viewed head-on, the front surface has a wrinkly reflective silver appearance from the coating on the inside of the lens (the front of the lens is smooth). But viewed from an angle, some quite nice blue and magenta hues become visible as ambient light passes through the dichroic coating (or coatings) and bounces off the reflector.

Turning it on, it produces a very nice, saturated green, tending a bit towards blue. I was sadly unable to capture it photographically, and the below is a poor attempt to color-correct a photo to do justice to the real thing. In reality the center white spot doesn't exist, the green is evenly saturated through the beam. It's just too bright in the center and overwhelms my camera.

View the lamp (on this time) from an extreme enough angle, though, and you can see that it's kicking a whole lot of magenta out towards the sides.

And finally, scraping the lamp along a white surface, the split colors become even more apparent. The magenta band comes out in such a tight band at such an extreme angle that you'd probably never notice it in many normal applications. As before, that white spot is actually a vivid green that confounds my camera (or perhaps its operator) to capture.

Anyone else have experience with these lamps? I haven't been able to find reference to any similar product online, so I would guess they aren't made any more--not a huge surprise, they were probably quite expensive compared to a more conventionally tinted flood. Still a cool product, though.

Last edited:
2000 hours. Standard for an R40-style of lamp.

These have been around for a long time. We'd first used a Spot version of this lamp in our water shows back in the 1980's. Light output and color consistency was never great, but trumped tinted glass.

Today, a Capsylite Par Lamp and a dichroic filter is the standard to beat.

Yes, LED holds promise, but when working in and lighting water their are issues that have yet to be overcome.

...Yes, LED holds promise, but when working in and lighting water their are issues that have yet to be overcome.
What issues might those be? (Other than the obvious: water intrusion and intensity?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wynn Resort Lake Of Dreams Show, Lake of Dreams, Wynn Las Vegas Lake

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...gaffs-disneyland-report-world-color-show.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Amber version PAR 38 from GE also still available for our flame pots. In my case GE #19464 for a part number... the above price I of course don't pay, but I'm mostly OEM in pricing thus in a different pricing. Above listed price... can't judge but not all that bad for retail overall. Can shop and bid around but you won't find too much savings.

2,000 hours in lamp life for this lamp and other colors available - once you go dichroic you never go back. Osram/Sylvania discontinued their line of them but GE still has them available in in few colors.

And yes - they are spectacular in output and color clarity.

Price is downright painful, but have used them (long long ago) and the color blows away the "painted" bulbs. In specific applications they are great as the color does not fade. Suspect LEDs will make them all but extinct.

These have been around for a long time. We'd first used a Spot version of this lamp in our water shows back in the 1980's. Light output and color consistency was never great, but trumped tinted glass.

Today, a Capsylite Par Lamp and a dichroic filter is the standard to beat.

Yes, LED holds promise, but when working in and lighting water their are issues that have yet to be overcome.

Welcome to the ControlBooth, H2ORuler-

Please post a few pics when available as your venue may provide ideas and solutions for others here at the 'Booth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back