Difference of sound between Auditorium Speakers and Guitar Amp?

I agree, not only is the guitar amp important, but the "electric guitar" sound is actually created in the amplifier. The harmonic overtone series is created by overdriving different sections of the amplifier circuit in different ways. I consider the amp itself the instrument more than the guitar. Moreover, the amp basically has to be played at Eleven for it to behave correctly -- since it's overdrive, including power-stage overdrive, that makes the harmonics that make electric guitar sound different from a Dean Markley magnetic pickup on an acoustic.

I'm impressed that there are an increasing number of "quiet" amps these days, the 5-15 watt class. They're still crazy loud, but a far cry better than the 100 watt rigs of yesteryear.

The modeling circuits, both analog and DSP, are pretty impressive and getting better by the year. For theatre and church, among other things, I think they'll take off in a few years once they get some good publicity. That will be a very welcome change.

You appear to be a college student so I'd assume that the college musicians' equipment could be just as high quality as your sound reinforcement gear and I've indeed encountered some high school, much less college, students that have very nice gear. However, I think the critical aspect here is separating the sound creation aspect from the sound reinforcement aspect. It's true that a cheap guitar combo, or even a very nice combo, is probably not going to do as good a job of reinforcement as your rig. At the same time, your rig by itself is probably not going to do as good a job getting the sound the guitarist wants. These are two different roles with very different goals, thus the equipment to support them also tends to be different.

Gear isn't everything. The number of times that I have had a beautiful Vox or Orange guitar cab on one of my stages and the "musician" has some of the worst guitar tone to ever come from Dr. Sound Von Lucifer..

A cheap guitar cab properly used through even just a SM57 through a decent club level PA with BOTH a true musician and a good engineer will always sound better than just some schmuck (75% of people that get on a stage in any venue less than a 400 cap, esp if said venue doesnt bring in nationals) with the state of the art (or rarest vintage) set-up on its own that is used improperly.

Also, with the bass issue, personally I will mic the cab and run a sans-amp if possible. Same principle as double mics on a kick drum. Different tools for different sounds. But again this depends on room size too. If its a venue smaller than a 1000 cap chances are Ill just put a DI on the bass since its the high end thats going to get lost and Im probably doing more channel searching. If Im in a large room with a proper 4-way PA Ill mic and DI. DI for that higher end and a touch of the "click", and the mic for that chest hitting bass and sub qualities. Personal preference for set-up? A sans-amp or ampeg tube DI, with either a 421 or Beta52 mic. Sometimes a D6 if Im feeling racey.

Same holds true for guitars. Very much so for the older open back fenders and such. I will often put a 609 off axis in the front for the higher end, but a 57 or 421 in the back for some body to the sound.

But as to the original statement that a guitar cab will always sound better than a PA? Debatable. I go back to my old high school now and again and yes, there the guitar cabs sound better because there is just so much missing spectrum wise there. But on a proper, professional 4-way system that is properly processed and crossed over and decent people both at the guitar and behind the desk? The PA should become an extension of the instrument just like it was mentioned that the cab is only an extension.

Like I always say..

Im only here to make things louder!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back