Diffusion gel for Colorstrip

jagwirez

Hey guys, I've never messed with any diffusion gels before. I want to use Chauvet colorstrips behind our band, handing vertical to add ambience. Brightness is well wanted for this feature, but I want to get rid of the sharp 'block' look from the LEDs. I am looking at Roscolux gels, and am not sure which one will not take away the brightness, but still diffuses nice (some brightness will be ok to lose for this matter). Frost or silk, or whichever else you think will diffuse this the best. Thanks for your help.

R120,121 & 122 are the RBG Diffusions from Rosco. It may really knock down the intensity of the LED's though. I would think if you are more rock-n-roll, you would consider any other color combination you want and add a light frost to it (R101 or 102). That way you could use less saturate colors and maintain some of your intensity.

So the application is the audience looking directly at the source, and the LEDs are being used more as display devices than actually lighting anything? I second the R111, Tough Rolux.

I've also seen plastic diffusers intended for fluorescent tube fixtures used effectively.
proxy.php

Installing a Drop Ceiling in a Basement Laundry : Home Improvement : Home & Garden Television

jagwirez -

I work for Rosco. If you are using the Chauvet fixtures, you don't need to change the color of the lights with the gels - you just need to diffuse them, is this correct?

If I'm correct then the previous suggestions of R111 & R112 are good. R111 is pretty heavy though and you'll lose quite a bit of light. I would also suggest expoliring R119 and R114 - both are popular for diffusing LED's.

Feel free to PM directly with any other questions.

I'd go for the 114 personally. I usually don't ever use a source 4 w/o at least 1 cut of 114 in it.....

Nice softening of the edge... Not a lot of lost lumens...

Thanks a lot for your help, I'll try out some ideas. And yes to confirm, I am just diffusing and not wanting to change colors. I'll probably start with 114 and see how it works.

And if anyone is looking at Colorstrips, I think they are worth the price. Nice and bright to an extent. Very nice to use as a floor wash, or background display. I only have one now just to test out and it seems ok, but I have 3 more on order which should provide a nice experience on the stage. If you are using DMX and an intelligent board, you may need to lower the refresh rate(dmx speed) if there is any flickering from the lights. Just a tip I learned while using them.

If you are using DMX and an intelligent board, you may need to lower the refresh rate(dmx speed) if there is any flickering from the lights. Just a tip I learned while using them.

Thanks for the tip -- though you're a little late :( it's already pretty well-documented around here!

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/9943-chauvet-led-colorbank.html

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...here-guys-jands-vista-chauvet-colorstrip.html

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/15324-control-chauvet-colorstrips.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back