Digital Mixer for Musical

Austin Gain

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new digital mixer to be used for the production of Miss Saigon.

Since my budget is $1000, I was hoping to rent a digital mixer for a period of six weeks.

I need at least 32 channels, but I can work with 24 channels.

I will probably be using 14 lavalier mics, 7 hanging mics, 3 floor mics, and 4 SM58's.

Do you have future budget as well? You might consider purchasing on a payment plan rather than renting and throwing the money away. The Behringer X32 (full) console is under $3k and has become very popular with good expansion options.

You can get an X32 for $2200 (+ shipping), but you'll need a snake too (or you can mix from an iPad). I don't think a six week rental will be nearly as cheap as $1000, but even if it is, just buy one anyway. After the show's run, you can rent the board to other folks and make up the difference you spent, or sell it for $1500 and still be money ahead.

He's talking about the x32 compact

For $1000 at 6 weeks you would be really hard pressed to find anything. I agree with trying to push to purchase the console. Even if you take the $1000 and use that as a down payment then post show pay the rest off with the money the show makes. Would probably have to make a deal with the local vendor for that however.

The other choice would be to try and find a used board. You might be able to find something for $1000.

I would agree with the choice of the X32. Using scenes, lots of ins and outs, EQ, etc. You would most likely need a snake as well, but chances are you already have something if you are looking for just a console. You wouldn't have to go digital to start off, but would be more ideal and easier to expand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back