Digital Playback Device

CMLDesign

Im working on a video project that has 3 seperate screens running different content. We cant afford a media server and since we are having our content created specifically and will not be doing any live mixing all we really need is playback. After much research I have been looking into the Technovision DV-75H HiDef player. Technovision® - Registered Trademark of Technovision Interactive Inc. Its less than $500 per unit and can be daisy chained via ethernet to keep the units in sync. But, It uses RS232 and Im not sure If I can send a control command from the lighting console (MIDI, DMX, Artnet, Streaming ACN...whatever) over this protocol. Does anyone know?

Last edited:
Crystal, It looks like the DMX to serial box that Derek linked to would do exactly what you need. Have you considered something like a Mac Mini Server with a TripleHead2Go and something like Isadora or a custom Quartz Composer application. That would be comparably priced to the $1.5k total price of the boxes you mentioned and could be triggered and controlled via Artnet directly.

For $1,500 you can build a fairly sweet media server running Isadora that has midi capabilities to be triggered by a lightboard. My Isadora rig cost me around $550 and it works great. I have run three screens off it using a Triplehead 2 go. If this is all hd content then your machine would have to be a bit beefier. SSDs would most likely do the trick.

Will your three separate screens be running the same resolution? What type of console are you using?

We recently did Tommy with projections at blackfriars.org as you can see here: ‪Tommyend1‬‏ - YouTube There were a total of 6 outputs from 3 regular PC's. We used software that I wrote. It is for sale, but in the spirit of this Forum, I can't toot my own horn. Drop me a personal note and I will give more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back