Control/Dimming Dimming Ballasts and Flo Tubes

Syphilis

Howdy,

Can you wire a dimmable ballast for fluorescent tubes into a housing which contains a non-dimming ballast, and still dim the fixtures? I assume the answer is no, but it would save a good deal of time if I could just wire my dimming ballasts in without ripping apart the housings. These were gifted to me when another theatre company was unable to return them after strike. This is the model, and it contains a non-dimming ballast, glued and riveted into the housing. I'm expecting to have to tear those out and insert my dimming ballasts, but it would be so lovely if that wasn't necessary.

Thanks!

Howdy,

Can you wire a dimmable ballast for fluorescent tubes into a housing which contains a non-dimming ballast, and still dim the fixtures? I assume the answer is no, but it would save a good deal of time if I could just wire my dimming ballasts in without ripping apart the housings. These were gifted to me when another theatre company was unable to return them after strike. This is the model, and it contains a non-dimming ballast, glued and riveted into the housing. I'm expecting to have to tear those out and insert my dimming ballasts, but it would be so lovely if that wasn't necessary.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if I really understand the question. If you're asking whether you could have a dimmable ballast mounted externally, well, it would probably be more difficult than just replacing the existing ballast. There are several thin supply leads which have to be wired in a particular way and some of them contain voltages that you wouldn't want to have flapping in the breeze.

Hi!

I'm asking whether the below wiring would produce a dimmable flo tube:

[Dimmable Ballast] wired into [Non-Dim Ballast] wired into [Flo Tube]

I don't think the input/output voltages/etc. would match up to even allow such a configuration.

However, those industrial fluorescent fixtures have a lot of empty room in the base. If your dimming ballasts will fit you could just mount the new ballast along with the old and just re-wire everything to work with the dimming ballast. If you took it a step further you could use something like Anderson Powerpole connectors (check your ratings) to allow you to easily switch between your non-dim or dimming ballasts.

I'm asking whether the below wiring would produce a dimmable flo tube:

[Dimmable Ballast] wired into [Non-Dim Ballast] wired into [Flo Tube]

No, driving a ballast with another ballast would probably result in two burned-out ballasts.

That would be as bad as and maybe worse than a dimmer powering a dimmer.

On the other hand, dimming ballasts don't always have to be dimmed. Control wires open is usually on full, then you just switch the power as normal. So replace your ballasts and use the fixtures as needed.

FWIW - any electrical supply shop (even HD) can get you identical fixtures with the dimming ballasts installed by the factory. And you still get to pick your ballast! It may not be quite as cheap as HD mass product but you won't spend hours rebuilding the units and throwing away the basic ballasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back