Distro Box...

Smcl001

I asked for a pair of 200amp Distro box for some quadpacks. Just something to power our outdoor productions. Nothing fancy... what did i end up with? a pair of rented breaker boxes, clearly salvaged from an old building and welded into a shotty frame on two very small, indoor, casters. Anytime the **** thing is moved (which is often) at least 3 quarters of the breakers fall out of their slots. There I am every event, large flathead screwdriver in hand gently pushing breakers back into their slots yelling to a guy on the other end of 100+' of cable...

"is it on?"
"No!"
"How about now?"
"Yeah there we go!"
*shuts pannel door*
"...it's off again!"

...It's a rental so fixing it isn't an option (though I still think the constant headache is not worth the deposit).

We had the electrician who "built" it come by once and i told him the issue he went ahead and pulled out a flathead screwdriver, handed it to me, and said "you gotta push them back in with this."

A+ for craftsmanship buddy!

...and that's my rant for today. Tune in next week same rant-time, same rant-network. :evil:

It is a code violation. The breakers used in houses are rated to pull their maximum circuit capacity for no more then 3 hours. They can be used constantly at 80% of their potential. The NEC codes on entertainment power distribution require that all breakers, wiring, and circuits be rated to be used at their full potential at all times. Therefore, off the shelf home depot breakers are illegal to be used for entertainment applications. Therefore, 99.9% of home made distros are illegal to be used onstage.

I say it's time to find a new rental house. If their answer is "you gotta fix it wit dis" I say "buh bye." Even if it means driving twice as far or paying twice as much.

Before we all start citing codes I must say that I miss-typed by "productions" i meant to say "events", the distros provide power to various vendors and 30x30 tents for sponsor receptions. 30x30 being large enough to require a building permit, thus making it kosher... i think... now you guys got me worried... I got a few phone calls to make, huh?

It is a code violation. The breakers used in houses are rated to pull their maximum circuit capacity for no more then 3 hours. They can be used constantly at 80% of their potential. The NEC codes on entertainment power distribution require that all breakers, wiring, and circuits be rated to be used at their full potential at all times. Therefore, off the shelf home depot breakers are illegal to be used for entertainment applications. Therefore, 99.9% of home made distros are illegal to be used onstage.

This section is an area that the Locality may take exception to. NEC is NOT the LAW it is the code that is adopted with the exceptions in the locality that is the LAW
here is one example showing how a state can make exceptions

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/cr_final/05-010.pdf

As I understand it there are two options, ONE is to use a special breaker certified rated for 100 percent OR to use a breaker and derate it to 80%
This applies to CONSTANT LOAD over 3 hours duration , and in most entertainment cases the circuits are not loaded to 100 percent for anyway near 3 hours. House lights would be an exception Nec 220 10(b) addresses these options.

I just decided to open up a full UL listed rated Professional portable Distro from one of the top suppliers and it in fact uses 15 Square D Q0 20 amp breakers

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back