DIY light controlled midi keyboard?

Hello I am trying to figure out how to get a midi keyboard/pad to control a simple set of lights ie: holding down a key lights up one light bulb, letting go turns off light bulb. I know there is a simpler way of doing this than having to go through a dmx set up but cannot find anything directly relate to this.

What kind of lights are you trying to control? Since the lights are going to need some form of a control signal, whether it's DMX, an On/Off switch (or relay), a 0-10v control signal, etc., to actually provide control of the lights, which technique had you been planning on using to send the signal from the MIDI controller through to the lighting controller?

If you don’t want to use DMX, I’m not sure what other devices you can get to turn lights on and off.

Googling DMX dimmer or DMX relay pack finds some pretty cheap options if that’s what you’re concerned about. Even some cheap DMX controllers have MIDI inputs, or you can get a USB to DMX device to send DMX from a computer.

I haven't personally used it, but it looks like the DecaBox might be a good MIDI to DMX bridge for your application if you use inexpensive DMX dimmer packs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back