DIY Telex Headsets

Hello Everybody and thank you for this amazing forum!

Anyways I was just wondering if any of you have built your own telex compatible headsets out of regular computer headsets. Is it possible to wire up a standard computer headset (green and pink minijack connections) to a 4 pin xlr for telex beltpacks?

Thanks for your help and sorry if this has been asked before!!

-Nate

I've done something on these lines. I wanted some light weight, over the ear headsets for some of crew in key positions who are stuck on headset for hours at a time when the show is running, but couldn't find anything off the shelf compatible that fit my needs. After trying several different styles, I ultimately narrowed it down to two, both of which were Plantronics headsets. Some of our staff preferred the H171N from the DuoPro line. Others liked the H81N from the TriStar line. Rather than lopping the ends off and soldering 4 pin XLR's to their already too short cables, I also purchased several 10' Lightweight Extension Cables for the headsets, cut about 2 ft. off of each end and turned them into adapters from the QD connector to 4 pin XLR. I don't recall off hand, what the pin out was, but it took a bit of trial and error to get it right.

Before you go to all this trouble though, you need to make sure that your system is compatible with the electret microphones on these headsets. Audiophiles correct me if I'm wrong on this. Some older headset systems may only be compatible with dynamic microphones.

If you do decide to go this route, shop around for suppliers as prices vary widely.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back