Control/Dimming DMX All On? DMX 5v

taneglaus

Hi. I'm looking for help from DMX gurus. I'm wondering if I put a constant 5v across the DMX +data and -data lines if dimmers will "see" the signal as "all addresses" to "full on"?

What I've got is in a historic town hall I've recently replaced an architectural "push button" lighting control for stage lighting with DMX dimmers and a basic DMX console.

At the time I designed this I thought the stage lighting was only for concerts, plays and musical productions. However another application has shown up in that some users want the stage lights on w/o using the DMX console. So I'm tring to come up with a method where users can flip a "on/off" switch to turn on/off the stage lights.

I've checked the dimmer packs to see if they can be setup so if no DMX signal is present that all channels power to full output but these dimmer packs don't have that function.

So I'm wondering if I put a constant 5volts across the DMX +data and -data lines will cause all dimmers to come on at full power?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Anyone know of a device that will send a DMX signal to full on on all 512 addresses?

And, is the DMX voltage 5 volts between +data and -data?
Or is it +5 volts above 0 and -5 volts below zero, so 10 volts peak-to-peak?

I appreciate your feedback.

Sounds like you're going to need to put some form of architectural control back in. Something like Doug Fleenor's Preset 10 that sits in line between the console and the dimmers and just needs a 1 time programming of its scenes would probably do, or you could go with a full featured system.

Putting +5V across the data +/- pins at best won't do anything, at worse, if enough current flows it could damage your equipment.

This is one of the weirdest questions....

As other members have said DMX is digital so that idea won't work.

There are also other DMX products that are way cheaper than Doug Fleenor Design. If you are located in Europe check out Thomann they sell very cheap/good Lighting/DJ products that work well and they have excellent customer support. They have a for 34 euros Stairville DDC-6 DMX Controller - Thomann UK from their own Brand Name (Stairville).

Doug Fleenor Design's Apathy can control all 512 channels at once. Couple it with a DMX merger and you are good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back