DMX Cable

Is not a functional change on Ion A with a DVI splitter vs. Ion B with out, about as annoying as having to remember the Studio Spots are 3 pin and need adapters if the rest of the rental is 5 ?. Do shops send out 3 pin data cable ?.

But I'll agree as well to disagree, as it's a totally moot point.

And I'm also curious and surprised that the SS 575 is still made. I think the big advantage to some consumers might be the convection cooling-no fan design. Other then that there are brighter units at or about that price range with better CMY mixing (which is poor on a dated fixture like the SS), although the the dual rotating gobo wheels are nice as well. Go figure.

talk about beating a dead horse. 3-pin DMX is not going anywhere; deal with it.

Anyway, yes there are 5-pin cables that are only wired with 3-pin cable.

Pretty much all of the elation Pro line now has 3 and 5 pin connectors.(problem solved)

Here is a place for good cables. They will also put heat shrink with you preference of color, and company/venue name on each cable.
Good Midwest company, Good cable, neutrik connectors. good adapters, DI's, etc.
http://www.rapcohorizon.com/

Is not a functional change on Ion A with a DVI splitter vs. Ion B with out, about as annoying as having to remember the Studio Spots are 3 pin and need adapters if the rest of the rental is 5 ?. Do shops send out 3 pin data cable ?.

But I'll agree as well to disagree, as it's a totally moot point.

And I'm also curious and surprised that the SS 575 is still made. I think the big advantage to some consumers might be the convection cooling-no fan design. Other then that there are brighter units at or about that price range with better CMY mixing (which is poor on a dated fixture like the SS), although the the dual rotating gobo wheels are nice as well. Go figure.
Steve,
I guess I am not familiar with this ION to be aware of this issue.
As for the adapters, all the rental shops I have dealt with ask you to specify the cables you require. This is part of the problem of having 2 versions of the fixture. If you specify 3 pin cable for your studio 575's and they have 5 pin connectors, you could be up a creek. Shops certainly still send out 3 pin cable when necessary!

As for the SS575 being still made, they are actually listed as out of production.. I assume anything they have left is just remaining inventory. But they definitely had their time in the spotlight.. That was a hell of a long run, even longer than the Mac 2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back