DMX Jacks

Anonymous067

A while ago I had posted a thread about trying to hook some movers up to the DMX jacks, and we got into a conversation about whether or not the site had an opto splitter (or something of that sort).

While the shows budget got pulled back (more like...got spend on a 5k curtain repair...), we won't be using the movers.

Regardless, today I had a chance to look in the dimmer room...found what I think are those opto splitters you guys were talkin about!! See the pics!

Attachments

• IMG00185.jpg
    IMG00185.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG00186.jpg
    IMG00186.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 232
Regardless, today I had a chance to look in the dimmer room...found what I think are those opto splitters you guys were talkin about!! See the pics!
Yep, you found 'em.

The NSI/Leviton Colortran DMX Multi-Out is a control signal distribution unit for one DMX512 signal. The device splits a single DMX512 input into five identical outputs, allowing for direct DMX transmission to multiple devices from a single DMX source. CMX (Colortran) and VMX (Viewpoint) protocols are also supported.
Input One 5-pin Neutrik male XLR connector receives a DMX512 or CMX signal Output Five optically isolated 5-pin female Neutrik XLR connectors duplicate the DMX512 input
one non-isolated female 5-pin XLR connector for pass-through of DMX512 signal
Optical Isolation Opto-couplers provide physical isolation of up to 4,000 Volts between all outputs and between outputs and input
The DMX Thru port is not optically isolated -- providing continuous signal throughout in case of power loss
Two spare sets opto-couplers are provided

So, knowing this, the issue that you have been having could be caused by a bad output driver in one of those splitters. I have seen this happen with one of my splitters where one output driver seems to not work right, in fact the problem was compounded when I ADDED a terminator to the line. So, if it is possible to trace which line goes to the jack that you have been having issues with, you could then swap the output on the splitter and see if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back