Drinks in the booth

Why is it always the director? This happened to me during intermission a few years ago. Director, large plastic cup of Coke and ice, ETC Express 48/96. He walked in and set it ON the console. I opened my mouth to say something as he turned around, bumped the console, and spilled the drink all over it. I disconnected the board and flipped it over as quickly as I could so gravity would be on my side. Luckily we were able to clean most of it up and everything functioned for the second act. I spent a late night opening up the console to clean it. There was a surprisingly small amount of liquid inside. The apologies though. Non-stop apologies.

One has to wonder if there was more than Coke and ice in that cup......just sayin'.

At least the lighting boards don't have massive power circuitry in them.
I'd probably crap myself if someone dropped a cup of liquid on our old powerMAX 16 (Which is a powered board). I mean, I watched the amplifier in it fail spectacularly without any help, last thing I want is something of questionable conductivity getting in the already bad clearance between the intertwined heatsinks.

Which reminds me I need to have a local shop get the amps removed so we can just use it as an auxiliary board...

Last edited:
I'd probably crap myself if someone dropped a cup of liquid on our old powerMAX 16 (Which is a powered board). I mean, I watched the amplifier in it fail spectacularly without any help, last thing I want is something of questionable conductivity getting in the already bad clearance between the intertwined heatsinks.

Which reminds me I need to have a local shop get the amps removed so we can just use it as an auxiliary board...
Are you suggesting you'd have them removed and reused externally mounted in a newly fabricated enclosure or merely removed and set aside? If the latter, could you not simply disconnect the amps from their power source(s) and leave them hiding within the board so long as you didn't require any of their functionality and there was no longer any danger of them taking down the powering for the remainder of the mixer?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

I should clarify, the amps have already gone thermonuclear, all they are doing is adding weight and noise to the right channel. This is no longer our primary board because we now use a pair of Europower 2100W amps with a 32 channel unpowered Behringer board I can't remember the model of.

The idea is to use this for events where classes need sound during the day, or we need more control than our 10ch / 4 XLR portable unit can supply

Not knowing the PM 16, I completely missed that we'd shifted to soundboards, and you can imaging how confused I became...

I imagined my first console, a late 60's EC auto-transformer monstrosity, with a thoughtfully sloped surface so it was not tempting.
In fact, here's a rarely-scene picture of our @RickR from that time,
proxy.php

(possibly taken at Halloween).
My, my, my; there have been so many ch-ch-changes over time. But I suppose old habits die hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back