Eartec Wirelss vs PI Wired (A fair comparison?)

madane

Does anyone have experience with the Eartec 24G-4CYB? I'm assuming this would be a case of you get what you pay for but I couldn't find comments from users.

In the meantime, I've configured a quote for a 2 channel Production Intercom wired system for four users plus a loudspeaker station for our green room. This will probably cost me about $2700 and I'll need to wire for it. The venue has open conduit and boxes to these locations but no cables run in them yet. I can (barely) afford this system.

My dilemma is I'd really like one wireless headset backstage. All of the threads and conversations steer me away from adding this to the PI system unless I bumped the whole thing up to wireless, and I can't afford that. I'm thinking I'll start with the wired headset in this location and see if we can live with it.

But it sure would be sweet to just open up the Eartec boxes for the four wireless headsets and have clean, clear communications that don't interfere with wireless mics.

After looking through Eartec's stuff I don't think I would gamble my money on a system like that (anyone around here used their stuff?).

4 channels, no buttons - an always on, full duplex system. Imagine you're running a loud show...everyone is hearing everything everywhere all the time. Plus I do believe it's a "you get what you pay for" sort of thing. For four users it may look appealing to get a system for under $1,000 but for so few people wired may be the way to go. "Clean and clear wireless" as you have put it, may be a subjective term with the Eartec. Without personally having used their product I can't speak to it, but having used many inexpensive wireless products I can say that you get the signal quality and product durability you pay for.

Comparing a one-channel wireless system to a two-channel wired system is sort of like comparing apples and oranges. What are you gaining with this second channel in the PI system? Is it just delivering a system feed to the biscuit in your dressing room - or serving a greater purpose?

For the money, PI delivers. I personally find their line comparable to the Clearcom RS-601/602 in terms of build quality. While it doesn't have the flexibility of a Clearcom system (with the computer programming and such) I find PI gear to be some of the quietest - in terms of system noise - gear I've used.

Check out their Econo-Com if money is an issue! You can have between 2 and 10 headsets on your line!

I would be a bit dubious of the Eartec. Gotta love the claim "The Simultalk 24G-4 is a complete four-station set that allows users to communicate hands free, with no buttons to push." when just below that is the statement "Talk/Standby Switch". Maybe they delineate between a switch and a button. Also, a 6 month warranty on the transceivers and just 30 days on the lightweight headsets does not speak well to the potential durability in a theatre environment.

Apparently they way the Eartec system works is that the one master unit always transmits to all of the remote units but only one remote unit at a time can communicate back to the master. So as I see it, there is not only no way to communicate between remotes but also no way for remotes to hear one another. If anyone has used these it would be interesting to know if when one remote is communication with the master is the other remotes hear nothing, everything or only the master side of the communication. I would think it would be very confusing to have everyone hear the master's response to any remote but not the remote.

One very under funded not for profit place I work with has a Panasonic cordless telephone set with 5 units in it all with headsets that they use on the "intercom" feature without plugging it into a phone. Inexepnsive & practical.

Apparently they way the Eartec system works is that the one master unit always transmits to all of the remote units but only one remote unit at a time can communicate back to the master. So as I see it, there is not only no way to communicate between remotes but also no way for remotes to hear one another. If anyone has used these it would be interesting to know if when one remote is communication with the master is the other remotes hear nothing, everything or only the master side of the communication. I would think it would be very confusing to have everyone hear the master's response to any remote but not the remote.

Thats what I understood from reading the lovely "How it Works" page, and I think for some things it would work, and cut down on a lot of extraneous com chatter (an integral part IMA), but when you have to only listen to SM, you can sometimes be left out of things you should need to know.

One very under funded not for profit place I work with has a Panasonic cordless telephone set with 5 units in it all with headsets that they use on the "intercom" feature without plugging it into a phone. Inexepnsive & practical.

Whats the latency like with the Panasonics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Better than my favourite dirt-cheap solution of wiring normal phones together, I assume these have PTT?

I'd have to say go with the wired solution.

Wired Com is:
More reliable
Has better audio quality
Easier to fix if there is an issue
Cheaper
Easier to find parts for
Easier to expand
More durable

How many times I've heard horror stories about wireless com, or had a serious pain-in-the-butt due to it. Its just annoying.

Installed into a theatre space, never to be moved or such wireless can work stable quite well don't get me wrong. And I have to agree with the others that I don't trust what I see upon a cursory glimpse of the eartec system.

Go wired. The PI stuff works just fine, especially if you run the cable nicely.

Thanks for all of your analysis and information.

I'm liking the PI econocom system as a starter. I can get everyone talking on a reliable, clear sounding system. If we start needing separate channels, loudspeaker stations or other upgrades most of the components (belt packs and headsets) will be reused.

And the money I'll save will get me some badly needed fresnels!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back