Effect Processors

JackMVHS

Hi, I have a three part question for the audio experts at controlbooth.com :grin:

Background info:
I have just found out that our school will be putting on "Back to the 80's: The Totally Awesome Musical!" this spring and I have begun thinking about a few new obstacles for audio this show. All of the songs are pop songs from the 80's and many of them include a lot of effect processing on the voices and instruments. We want to match as closely as possible to the original songs if possible. I am particularly worried about "Video Killed the Radio Star". We have never owned, rented, or used an effect processor, but it will be almost necessary this show, and therefore have some beginner questions about them.

Question 1: What type of effect or combination of effects would you use for the "radio" effect on the lead singer for "Video Killed the Radio Star"? If you have suggestions for the other songs in the show, that would be appreciated as well.

Question 2: What brand of effects processors, or specific processors, would you recommend? We probably only have less than $300 to spend on this piece of equipment. I would like to purchase one to use in the future, but renting is also an option. (I found a Lexicon MX300 on craigslist for $175, opinions?)

Question 3: How is the effects processor wired to the sound board? Using aux sends and returns? Or a different method?

Thanks in advance,
oh and no hurry, the show isn't until April...

~JackMVHS
Mounds View High School, MN
MV Theatre

I can't really answer question 1 but here goes for the other two:
question 2) lexicon is highly regarded in the effects processor world. I'm not familiar with the particular model to which you refer but a late model lexicon is usually a safe bet.
Question 3) If you only want the effect on a single channel, then I would use the insert otherwise I'd use the aux send and return.

Look in the processor for a preset called "telephone" or "megaphone" or something of that sort.

You can also create it with EQ - lop off the top end bottom, and boost somewhere in the middle - experiment.

As to hooking up an effects unit, refer to the manuals for the console and the effects.

How you connect an effects processor depends to a large extent on what you want to achieve with it and the equipment you are using. If you want it only for a single channel, then connecting it via that channels insert socket (if the console is so equipped) is an option. Else if you have a spare Aux bus, the feeding it from there is a typical move, normally post fader. Many consoles have return channels for the connection of the effects unit output.

I think you might be able to do what you want with an EQ, if you have one. What sound board are you using? It would be tougher with one that If not, try to rent a Klark Teknik DN410 parametric EQ. Use the HPF at 250 or 300 and the LPF at like 8k and use the filters as you see fit to make it sound better.

If you're set on an effects processor, rent a Yamaha SPX-990. You might be able to find one to buy for $300- post an ad on the PSW marketplace.

I think you can get the sound of the original using the EQ to drop lows and tweak on the mid, mid-high sweeps+ an effects processor to add the reverb that is heard on the recording.

Lexicon is decent and so is T.C., your budget brings you in at some of the lower end-less featured units but that seems to be perfect for this app. The MX300 is a decent intro unit to play with and it still provides a lot of great "popular" effects, many that would be good for this production.

What brand/model mixing console are you using? The MX300 is a stereo/dual mono unit that gives you the option to operate 2ch of effects or to "cascade" them into one output. Most likely will be using aux send/return, but would be easier to be more specific on your mixer and if you have any other additional outboard processing going on.

Hi, I have a three part question for the audio experts at controlbooth.com :grin:

Background info:
I have just found out that our school will be putting on "Back to the 80's: The Totally Awesome Musical!" this spring and I have begun thinking about a few new obstacles for audio this show. All of the songs are pop songs from the 80's and many of them include a lot of effect processing on the voices and instruments. We want to match as closely as possible to the original songs if possible. I am particularly worried about "Video Killed the Radio Star". We have never owned, rented, or used an effect processor, but it will be almost necessary this show, and therefore have some beginner questions about them.

Question 1: What type of effect or combination of effects would you use for the "radio" effect on the lead singer for "Video Killed the Radio Star"? If you have suggestions for the other songs in the show, that would be appreciated as well.

Question 2: What brand of effects processors, or specific processors, would you recommend? We probably only have less than $300 to spend on this piece of equipment. I would like to purchase one to use in the future, but renting is also an option. (I found a Lexicon MX300 on craigslist for $175, opinions?)

Question 3: How is the effects processor wired to the sound board? Using aux sends and returns? Or a different method?

Thanks in advance,
oh and no hurry, the show isn't until April...

~JackMVHS
Mounds View High School, MN
MV Theatre

With $300, you can probably find a used TC M-1 processor. Also, an M-300 should fit in your price range new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back