Electrical violations! (Where's Waldo in Reverse)

It occurred to me that I never followed up to tell you what ever happened at this gig, so here we go:
I went down to scout the place out and it was worse than I had thought! The ceiling was acoustic tiles stapled to wood beams, painted black. (Small club!!) In my electrical inspection, I determined that all of the questionable wiring and equipment was routed through one box. I agreed to do the job as long as that box could be disconnected for the duration. This was agreeable, and left said house system as a dead clutter. My only rigging option was to manufacture a pipe grid which was bolted to the floor and the ceiling, with 4 verticals (self supporting.) The strange chain you see in the picture is actually unrelated and is used to hang a marquee sign for the band. I had intended on draping to hide all the nastiness, but ran out of time. It was a simple plot of about 30 fixtures, mainly 1000Q par64s and 250w intels. Not a night I would like to repeat, but the show was fun. I left the house system disconnected when I left, and emailed them a list of suggested work, which I am sure went over like a lead balloon.
proxy.php

Remember that post Logos had from down under a while back about the theater with catwalks so dangerous he refused to do the high work...

I almost went through that whole experience in October while volunteering for another high school. The catwalk was missing about three foot sections, and I had to hold on to the buildings superstructure to walk across the gaps. (The side railing for the catwalk was still there). I informed the principal that if it wasn't fixed within a week, that I would be notifying the proper authorities. Came back a week later, all was fixed.

And on top of that, the fixtures were mounted below the catwalk, so somebody had to stand on the supports for the ceiling to see what they were adjusting...or lean your body over the catwalk.

Wasn't a pleasant experience.

I worked with a touring show locally in a high school that was almost as bad. The teacher had installed their own catwalks, so you had to climb a ladder and walk across boards suspended from the ceiling. Two places required you to climb over AC ducts, and another you had to get down on your belly. Power was run out from a series of cables pulled up and out from the stage to a makeshift opening. To reach the lights, you left the catwalk and moved out across ceiling braces to the opening. At least they required a harness.

I didn't know enough at the time, or I would have refused to work it. I wish I'd at least taken pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back