Electronic Control lighting equipment

thats exactly what we have. I like working with it backstage though. It gives me better lighting angles than the C clamps do and its way easier for me to hang since i don't have to balance the light on my arm while i'm tightening the screw

falcon said:
thats exactly what we have. I like working with it backstage though. It gives me better lighting angles than the C clamps do and its way easier for me to hang since i don't have to balance the light on my arm while i'm tightening the screw

Really? I find c-clamps easier to work with in general, but also more restrictive on the electrics. With a c-clamp, I can let the top part of the clamp support the weight of the instrument while I'm tightening the bolt, but with a channel mount, I have to support the yoke myself. The c-clamps are definately more of a pain backstage though. Our channel mounts are hung beneath the pipe on the electrics, so if we channel mount the instruments, we they can go any direction we want, but if we c-clamp mount them, they're restricted by the yoke hitting the channel mount, and when we add more instruments, the entire batten rolls, finding a new balance point, and shifting the focus either upstage or downstage. Also, our school only recently (when I started reading lighting books) initiated the practice of focusing the electrics at their "out" trim, although I'm one of the few people (besides my TD) in my high school who understands both the terms "out" and "trim". We don't have a fly system, just 8 motorized winches. However, this didn't stop us from doing Sondhiem's "Sunday in the Park with George" a couple years ago. We called it "Sunday in the Park without Flies." That was a very interesting show. But anyways, I digress, alot.

our channel mounts are underneath and the bar for the c-clamps is on top holding the channel mount and outlets in place. when i use c-clamps, i have to hold the light perpindicular to the bar just to get in on the pipe, and I can only go to one side it the whole bar kinda tilts back moving the focus of everything downstage. This only gives me limited lighitng possibliites from the bar as I am only able to light anything directly under the bar and anything upstage of the bar. Its like this for all 3 of our backstage electrics since our curtains were all put infront of them. Thats really annoying since they don't move that well and get stuck half way across the track.

falcon said:
our channel mounts are underneath and the bar for the c-clamps is on top holding the channel mount and outlets in place. when i use c-clamps, i have to hold the light perpindicular to the bar just to get in on the pipe, and I can only go to one side it the whole bar kinda tilts back moving the focus of everything downstage. This only gives me limited lighitng possibliites from the bar as I am only able to light anything directly under the bar and anything upstage of the bar. Its like this for all 3 of our backstage electrics since our curtains were all put infront of them. Thats really annoying since they don't move that well and get stuck half way across the track.

That sounds exactly like our system. I agree with you that the c-clamps are more restrictive when there's a huge channel mount strip hung beneath the batten, but the channel mounts are a royal pain as well. Basically, the entire system sucks. I suspect that this is why it is no longer manufactured.

Where are you? I'm at South High School, in Minneapolis, MN.

I'm just outside Vancouver, BC.

The system does suck, but it does the job for me better than c-clamps. Right now, i have everything hung with c-clamps since all i need right now is general lighitng. but when i do productions i would like to have the ability to back light the sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back