Element Question! Fader Knob broken

KRobalino

We just bought a used Element that works really well with our set up. We don't need a ton but this does so much more than the old express we had. The issue is, it arrived with a snapped off fader position switch. It is in 1st position which leaves us full use of the board and both sets of faders. I'm unconvinced we need more than that with so few instruments. My question though, is it possible to move that switch via a keyboard command or via a command on the monitors? I'm trying to figure out if it is a mistake keeping this before the 30 days is up to return. These are hard to find these days and it is really perfect for our little blackbox. I am not a programmer, just a tech mom and the one admin here that has been around this equiment the longest! Any ruminations, opinions or advice is welcome. Thank you!

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by "move that switch."

The ETC Element has (depending on the model) two or three banks of faders, plus a rotary knob that puts them either in channel mode or submaster mode.
In channel mode, they're set so that the first fader brings up channel 1, then second fader brings up fader 2, and so on. That behavior is hard-wired into the console.
In submaster mode, they're set to respond to submaster 1, submaster 2, and so forth -- but you can change the contents of the submaster to suit your needs.

Frankly, though, if you have the option to return it, I would do so -- so long as you can get a replacement for it. It's a sligth enough problem that yes, you can work around it -- but do you want to be doing that for the next ten + years?

Since it might be difficult to exchange a used console, you could always send it in to ETC (or drop it off at an authorized dealer/service center nearby) for repair. I only use that knob when I'm trying to find a light in my plot and I'm too lazy to look at the magic sheet, but it is nice to have; granted I run 192 dimmers with most being front and side positions. I don't think there is a software workaround other than magic sheets and it sounds like you prefer setting levels with faders.

The knob/potentiometer itself probably isn't more than a few bucks and while I've never sent anything in to ETC for repair, their customer service is excellent. I wouldn't expect the repair to break the bank. Maybe while they have it they can make sure it's running the latest OS it can handle while doing other minor maintenance to ensure it has a long life remaining.

Thank you both. The sellers would take it back but an element for 2400 is hard to find. I have been looking a long time and snapped this one up. I will see if Holzmueller does repairs and then if ETC does, I'm not sure if we will ever use it so I don't want to invest too much. Your perspectives though are really helpful.

Reactions: Les

Users who are viewing this thread

Back