ETC Ion - Save Failed

GoboMan

My ETC Ion just started exhibiting a problem today in which a show file cannot be saved. Whenever I press Shift+Update or click "Save" in the browser, I get a message saying "Save Failed! Unable to write to persistent storage."

If I try to save to a USB drive, it saves just fine. I tried exiting and restarting the client and that didn't fix the problem.

Am I dealing with a failing hard drive?

My ETC Ion just started exhibiting a problem today in which a show file cannot be saved. Whenever I press Shift+Update or click "Save" in the browser, I get a message saying "Save Failed! Unable to write to persistent storage."

If I try to save to a USB drive, it saves just fine. I tried exiting and restarting the client and that didn't fix the problem.

Am I dealing with a failing hard drive?

I'd guess drive is full, failing, or both. I'd transfer everything you care about to external storage, check your free space, and if you have plenty, call ETC.

Is it a new Ion or an old Ion? The newer ones have SSDs, and they can sometimes totally fail once they start going.

Not sure about the exact age of the board, but the list of old show files in the browser is quite lengthy, so it's possible it is full. (Is there a way to check free space?) After our show finishes tonight I will back up and delete a few of the old files and get back to you. Thanks! :)

Not exactly sure but try looking at about and then look at the console area for space. Don't have a computer or board in front of me to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would doubt that the hard drive is full - the show files usually aren't that big and an 80 gig drive should be able to hold thousands of shows.

Open the Diagnostic tab (Tab 99) and see if it gives you a more detailed error message in the log when you try to save.

Also, try exiting to the shell and going to the Settings -> Maintenance tab to do a deep clear (after saving the show to USB!!) - this will reset the persistent storage.

If you haven't already figured this out - the Maintenance tab will allow you to easily back up the show archive to a USB drive. It gives you options for only the latest versions of each file or you can copy everything (including all versions of the show files). Depending on how many files you have, it can take a while to back up to USB so don't be concerned if it looks like nothing is happening.

You can also go to the File Manager if there are specific show files you need to transfer to USB.

-Todd

Last edited:
Hello again!

So, after our show finished tonight, I went into the file browser and picked one of the folders. It was from a show that was done four years ago, and there were about 100 different versions saved in the folder. I backed up the most recent version to a USB, and then deleted all of the versions and the folder itself. I then attempted to save my current show file using Shift+Update and it successfully saved.

Looks like the hard drive was full after all. Guess this means I have to do some backing up and cleaning of the board tomorrow!

Thanks for all your help and advice, as always! :)

I really doubt the HD was full. the files are a few hundred kilobytes a piece. That's about 160,000 show files even accounting for storage of the OS and operating system. I'm not saying it's impossible i'm just saying it may be worth a call to ETC to see what the other causes might be, you don't want a full HD failure to surprise you at an inopportune moment.

Update...

When I got to work today I exited the client and opened up the file manager on the board. After deleting that 100 or so files from the other day, there is still only 560MB of free space remaining on the drive. Looking through the files, each version of the many many shows that are still on the board from years past average anywhere from 2MB to 6MB a piece. This is probably due to the multiple cue lists in each show (about 20-30 each). I recently got hired at my current venue, and it appears that nothing has been deleted from the board since it was bought, which is about 6 years ago, I just found out.

I haven't had any issue saving my current show file since I deleted that one show, so I'm going to continue to do some major backing up and cleaning of the board this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back