ETC update downloads failing

Jay Ashworth

I'm on my third try attempting to get the 2.5.2 Ion update downloaded; it keeps failing most of the way through, cause my hotspot's bad, and the house wifi is worse.

It's failing, though, in an interesting manner: it won't restart, as Firefox usually will.

My suspicion is that this is because the link one clicks to start the download *is not a link to a file*; it's a link that runs a script that redirects you to a file, so your browser doesn't have a file to inquire about, and hence can't restart.

I dunno how common failed downloads are, but ETCs webmasters might want to reconsider that architecture...

You want me to DL it and give you a file link?

Grats

Thanks, no; it came in just before you posted. I assume I put the exe in the root of the thumbdrive and reboot?

I'm on my third try attempting to get the 2.5.2 Ion update downloaded; it keeps failing most of the way through, cause my hotspot's bad, and the house wifi is worse.

It's failing, though, in an interesting manner: it won't restart, as Firefox usually will.

My suspicion is that this is because the link one clicks to start the download *is not a link to a file*; it's a link that runs a script that redirects you to a file, so your browser doesn't have a file to inquire about, and hence can't restart.

I dunno how common failed downloads are, but ETCs webmasters might want to reconsider that architecture...

I'm sorry that you were having issues downloading the update. It is a rather large file so poor/slow connections may time out. You are correct that the link on the page is a link to an asset ID that translates to a file, but once the file starts, your browser should know how to request the file again.

Failed downloads are pretty standard when the connection is dropped or reset in the middle of the download. There isn't a lot we can do when your computer requests the file in a new connection since the site thinks you are a unique visitor not the same visitor who was interrupted. We are looking at ways to improve this in the future.

...We are looking at ways to improve this in the future.
Well, you could put your floppy in my inbox. It worked great for America OnLine for a long time. Free floppies!

proxy.php

Reactions: Van
and to think, if you ask any of the students in my building, I bet only 5 out of the several hundreds would even know what a floppy is....oh how times have changed....and yes, most times for the better

Have a great day...
Sean...

I'm sorry that you were having issues downloading the update. It is a rather large file so poor/slow connections may time out. You are correct that the link on the page is a link to an asset ID that translates to a file, but once the file starts, your browser should know how to request the file again.

Failed downloads are pretty standard when the connection is dropped or reset in the middle of the download. There isn't a lot we can do when your computer requests the file in a new connection since the site thinks you are a unique visitor not the same visitor who was interrupted. We are looking at ways to improve this in the future.

FF54/Mac is the browser.

wget -Sc gets it right:

================
Jays-MacBook-Pro:~ jra$ wget -Sc https://www.etcconnect.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737490428
--2017-07-17 17:09:59-- https://www.etcconnect.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737490428
Resolving www.etcconnect.com... 216.165.152.245
Connecting to www.etcconnect.com|216.165.152.245|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Cache-Control: private
Content-Length: 118192468
Content-Type: application/zip
Server: Microsoft-IIS/8.5
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Eos_Mac_2_5_2_9_0_8.zip"
X-AspNet-Version: 4.0.30319
Set-Cookie: EktGUID=8296f0b1-56e4-4c74-a9da-2e59824d382c; expires=Tue, 17-Jul-2018 21:09:59 GMT; path=/
Set-Cookie: ASP.NET_SessionId=edps5jnynuc53ssffxq5qw1z; path=/; HttpOnly
Set-Cookie: ecm=user_id=0&isMembershipUser=0&site_id=&username=&new_site=/&unique_id=0&site_preview=0&langvalue=0&DefaultLanguage=1033&NavLanguage=1033&LastValidLanguageID=1033&DefaultCurrency=840&SiteCurrency=840&ContType=&UserCulture=1033&dm=www.etcconnect.com&SiteLanguage=1033; path=/
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 21:10:00 GMT
Length: 118192468 (113M) [application/zip]
Saving to: ‘DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737490428’
================

If I retry, it tells me it's completely downloaded.

This looks like a Firefox bug; I'll try to characterize it more.

Further inspection suggests that the *fail* reason was Out Of Disk, even though FF was impolite enough not to tell me.

But I suspect that's not germane.

Take you computer to McDonalds or Starbucks.

I suggest you take you computer to McDonalds, Starbucks or Panera.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back