Control/Dimming ETC Sensor Rack Issues

Hey guys,

I've been struggling with this issue for over a year now, so I thought I'd send it out. This is a problem we have been having at the high school I've been working with for about 2 years, and it got bad last year. I'm now in college for lighting and have come back to try and help figure out what is happening…again.

The problem is that dimmers will fail to come on, and/or come one when they are not supposed to in a flicker-y manner, or come on but flicker and not come to full power. So, sometimes when you bring up a cue dimmers will not come on, sometimes when you are setting in a cue dimmers will get brighter, or dimmers that should not be on will come on.

We are using an ETC Expression 3 lighting console. It has worked fine for a school that really doesn't do much with moving lights. When I got here a few day ago the board started acting up. It does not allow us to run a dimmer check; the "dimmer check" box pops up for half a second and goes away. Every time I used to command "Group" "1" "at" "Full" "enter" it would bump the lights up to 18% intensity, same thing when doing channel. The only way to get it to go to full was to use the scrollers. Also, today while I was watching the screen random channels were going from 0 to 100 and just bouncing all over the place and we would loose control of the board, the only thing to do was to turn the board off…while it was doing this non of the actual fixtures were coming on.

This is a brand new 20 million dollar auditorium that opened in 2008, I feel like it is way to early to be having these kind of issues.

Here is the system:
3 48 module Sensor+ 230V Installation Racks (HSR),

So far we have:
-swapped out the dimmers themselves, new dimmers work
-Replaced all modules that went out with new ones last year, this year even more have gone out including a few of the new one.
-cleaned all the dirt and crap out of the dimmer cards and brains

Things we know:
The problems are not confined to 1 rack
problems are not confined to 1 phase
problems seem to get worse as the day goes on (I'm thinking temperature issues)
when i took the cards out to clean them a few seemed warmer than i would have expected
In one instance there are 4 dimmers patched to the same channel, of which only 2 are affected.
When a module goes out it is for good and has to be replaced.
phases are reasonably balanced

We have spoke to ETC and they do not have much to say.

Thanks everybody!

Brad

-Check in BLIND that Group 1 is not channels recorded at 36% intensity. Group X @ recalls channels proportionally to how they were recorded.
-Check that the console isn't loading a cue upon start up or that there isn't a sub up that is an EFFECT cue.

I would honestly see about getting another console, at least for a day. Eliminate that. Beyond that you would want to check the integrity of the DMX stream, whatever the set up may be. I would also have the district electricians meter the power supply to the dimmers to ensure they are not getting a severe amount of overvoltage, which could fry things.

Some random thoughts:
... This is a brand new 20 million dollar auditorium that opened in 2008, I feel like it is way to early to be having these kind of issues.
"Brand new" and "opened in 2008" seem incongruous, but you're right in that a six year-old installation should not be having these kind of issues.
...Here is the system:
3 48 module Sensor+ 230V Installation Racks (HSR),
Fairly certain this is incorrect, as those racks are for non-North American markets and you're in Arkansas.

... When a module goes out it is for good and has to be replaced. ...
Replaced, or repaired? And by whom? Do you have a relationship with a friendly, local dealer?
... We have spoke to ETC and they do not have much to say.
Without a doubt, a representative of ETC will be along shortly, and have lots to say.

I suspect you have multiple issues happening, and the best way to diagnose would be to call ETC Tech Service at 1.800.688.4116 during WI business hours while in front of the console.

Hi Brad,

Sorry to hear you are having all these issues. I'm quite surprised that we weren't able to help earlier. However, we are here now, so let's get this solved.

It very much seems to me that you have two distinct problems. They may or may not have been caused by the same instigator.

First, the console. There could be a macro running, there could be stuck buttons, there could be any of a number of issues. The best thing to start with is a deep clear of the console and see if it still has the same problem. Hold down the 7, 8 and 9 keys while turning the console on. Don't let go of the keys until it fully boots. All your patch and show data should be erased and you can then check it out. If it is still having problems, please call us.

Now, the dimmers. It sounds like you have some power cubes failing. Phase loading should not matter unless there is a loose feed neutral. The best way to check that is to go into About Power and then run some dimmers up and down. The phase voltages should stay within a couple of volts, if they move at all. If they do move, then there is probably a power feed problem and an electrician should be called in.

Other than that, it would be great if you would call and talk to Turk in Technical Services. He will be able to lead you through some troubleshooting and talk about any potential cube issues.

Do not be concerned about the modules being warm. They will get warm depending on how much load is placed on them. It takes quite a bit of heat to hurt the cubes. Why might there be problems? There might have been a lightning strike near to the facility sometime in the last number of years. The system might be installed in a room without adequate cooling or ventilation or was run for a period of time where the cooling system was not working. Both of these situations can manifest themselves in failures many years later....seen it a number of times.

No matter as we will be glad to help you.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back