Wireless EW100 G3 Data Port

Chris15

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
Departed Member
So I've got my hands on a EW100 G3 system. On the back of the receiver we have a "data" port. It looks suspiciously like the ports used to connect a Net1 in the G2 days, but does anyone have any info on it and how I might exploit it perhaps? Happy to receive it offline if that's preferable.

In the Ew100 G3 series,the manual states that they are for servicing. though i noticed that they appear to be the same as the Ew300 series which does have Ethernet remote functionality through the port. I a feeling that it's manufactured the same for cost effectiveness and that it's a firmware installation that allows a 300 series to use them as you are thinking.

Just realized this was a necro post.

That said. Provided i get the same band. Will a ew100 G2 or G3 wireless transmitter work with an G1 ew100 series reciever

after looking all around the internet and finding mixed answers. I phoned Sennheiser. Provided transmitters and Receivers are in the same Band, G1 though G3 all work with each other minus the near generations features. Obviously you can sing a G3 reciever with a g1 mic that doesn't have an IR port in other words; battery indicators and such as well.

Last edited:
Close, but no cigar.
The port on the 100 is and RJ12 (6P6C) rather than an 8P8C which would be needed for ethernet.
I have a vague understanding that the port is used for factory setup, but that doesn't change the fact that the engineer in me wants to exploit it if I can.

Yes you can use G1/G2/G3 interchangeably, from memory they have different pilot tones so you have to turn off pilot detection on at least the newer receivers using old TXs, the other way around may be neccessary too.

This has been dormant for quite some time now.

As it stands, there has been no further light shed on the port usage.
At any rate, and kludged togetehr solution will NOT be manufacturer supported, will not be guaranteed reliable and probably will void your warranty.

If you need monitoring, you need to go for 300 series or better...

This has been dormant for quite some time now.

As it stands, there has been no further light shed on the port usage.
At any rate, and kludged togetehr solution will NOT be manufacturer supported, will not be guaranteed reliable and probably will void your warranty.

If you need monitoring, you need to go for 300 series or better...

Yeah thanks, Been using G3 systems 300 and above, using ethernet to monitor battery levels and RF/AF issues, just wondering if that comes out on one pair, or across all eight. Trying to see whether or not I can get it down a mic cable (....don't ask).

Thanks again, will contact them direct.

It's standard 10/100 ethernet, so it only uses 2 pairs of the 4.

Mic cable - erm yeah never tried that...
If it were data grade cable you might have a chance, but you'd still be fighting against the odds.

In your situation, either tape a Cat5 to the core or go wireless. If you lose monitoring the show does not stop, it's just inconvenient, so wireless is OK in that application...

True enough, and valid. It's just I get sent out on my own so often it's handy to monitor from FOH. I figured the only thing I could guarantee to run front to back (given that I rarely to never get to say what kit turns up) is a multi.

No I haven't tried it yet, either and i'm not expecting too much to be honest. I agree and I will most likely settle on wireless. I'm trying to make life easy simple and streamlined and all I manage to achieve is an increase in all the funny gadgets I bring along to jobs.

Thanks for the replies, good talking..

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back